Hospice of the Valley (AZ) - satisfying | Glassdoor

"satisfying"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

They give superior end of life care. Staff is competent and supportive. I would recommend this service to family.

Cons

Upper management sometimes over emphasized quantity vs quality, meaning they appear more interested in the number of patients served vs the quality of care given.

Advice to Management

Return to quality driven care vs how many patients served or market share. I believe the market will grow if the quality of service is superior to competitors.

Other Employee Reviews for Hospice of the Valley (AZ)

1. "One big dysfunctional family"

Former Employee - Nurse
    Former Employee - Nurse

I worked at Hospice of the Valley (AZ) part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

HOV is one of the best in the field at providing end-of-life care. Administration goes to great lengths to make the terminal process easier for the patient as well as their family. During my tenure, I enjoyed the teamwork and staff I worked with. We normally pulled together to help one another.

Cons

The overall internal culture is horrendous. Management and administration can be downright bullies. When I was there employees were put in position/pressured to snitch on each other. You learn quickly that some employees are given special treatment and preference and it's done openly & blatently. I've personally witnessed harassment/threatening behavior by both Team Leader(s) and upper level administration. Management is one huge clique so forget about "going up the chain" to report anything. You are treated as if you are dispensable and we were directly told if family members complained about us we'd be terminated immediately. You are not given enough supplies, staff, etc to do your job but you'd better do it and 100% satisfy the patients/families. I truly loved working with the terminally ill and their families. I just can't bring myself to go back to the backstabbing culture at HOV.

Advice to Management

While it's nice to promote from within, it's beneficial to bring in new people with fresh perspective and modern ways of managing. It's great that you compassionately listen to patients and families but the employees caring for them deserve and need the same consideration. Take care of your people and they will take care of the patients!

2. "Wow, 90 percent turnover in the IT Department."

Pros

Decent pay, air conditioned offices. Some software training.

Cons

On call for one week a month for a 1000 employees, you will receive calls at 4 am and 5 am in the morning from people with bad attitudes they expect to work a full 8 hour shift.

Advice to Management

The current business matrix is not working, change the format, hire some more people other than a skeleton staff plus worry about your employees and the patients, not a year-end bonus for saving the company money.