HostGator.com - Hostgator provides a fun challenge and opportunities to learn. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for HostGator.com

"Hostgator provides a fun challenge and opportunities to learn."

Current Employee - Project Administrator in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Project Administrator in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They'll hire most baseline competent Linux Administrators. Those who are hired will get the opportunity to learn a number of technologies they may not be familiar with and become competent very quickly.

Cons

The pay is nothing special, but it's nothing to sneeze at.
Promotions can be slow, and the requirements are not always clear (they are working on this, however)
You cannot work remotely.

Advice to Management

Have a focus on rewarding employees who do well. Get those promotion requirements out and finalized.

Other Employee Reviews for HostGator.com

1. "Great Environment"

Current Employee - Junior Administrator I in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Junior Administrator I in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hostgator is continuously trying to improve the work environment. Once a week we get a free massage, ice cream, beer, and wine. Lunch is served for all shifts, and the management is always there to help you.

Cons

The employee benefits could be a bit better, but that comes as companies evolve. Hopefully hostgator will ditch the health coverage they have now for something better.

Advice to Management

Keep Doing what you're doing!

"Constantly struggling and overwhelmed all the time, for LOUSY PAY"

Current Employee - Chat Tech in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Chat Tech in Austin, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A nice start to a career in customer service; could lead to a career in I.T. if you can make it high enough at HostGator; dual monitor, Linux workstations (something more companies need to be doing!!); no micromanagement, not bothered by people around you; full medical benefits; job security;

Cons

Not I.T.-centric; not very clear on what is expected of you when you start; Lousy Pay!; no clear cut idea of who does what or where; the work environment is dirty, nobody talks to anyone, hours are lousy!!, expectations 5 chats or 3 chats & phone are overwhelming. can never find the answers to questions when I use the knowledge base; very hard to meet quota; still don't know what will happen if I don't meet the quota after 90 days of employment; given $3000 to relocate and work at HostGator as a systems admin. not told that I had to pass a test. I failed test. pay cut by 30%, now must get second job to make ends meet.

Advice to Management

Improve pay, training, organization; place more emphasis on employee retention (less expensive in the long run)