HostGator.com - Great place to work if you like to learn and want to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for HostGator.com

"Great place to work if you like to learn and want to work"

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you want to work, and want to learn its a great place to work. Most bad reviews on here are from "JR Admins" and "Former JR Admins" alot of them don't tend to make it. First of all I will say I did not start out as a JR Admin, I took the initial tests and got in a an admin because I have some decent linux server experience.The complaints that you have to get in the right crowd are somewhat true, however if you do your job right, and do it well, its easy to get in the right crowd because everyone just wants to work together, it makes the day go by easier for everyone.
I do have to say some sick days would be nice, I dont want to goto the doctor to get a note for a cold or short lasting flu, I have done it so far but going out when sick is a pain.
There are plety of opportunities to train and move up are there if you choose to take them, and if you choose to do the work to get ahead. If you think helping people solve different issues time after time every day is boring and monotonous, then this job is just not for you.
Management is great, they listen to suggestions, however its unrealistic to think they can accomodate every suggestion. People say the pay sucks, yeah I want to make 90k a year as well, but its unrealistic to think that as a jr admin or level 1 admin that you will see more than what you are now. The only way to make more is to work hard and get ahead, like anywhere else. Oh and JR admins, quit complaining about the pay. Alot of you work at hostgator because your good at working with computers, working on the web, and fixing your grandmas pc, not because your good at working on servers. If you were you would be an admin. I would advise jr admins that if they want to do more, and make more to read and learn more about linux then try for the admin position.

Cons

cant really think of much, sometimes the ac is too cold, the food sucks sometimes, but hey its free food.

Advice to Management

maybe provide some sick days

Other Employee Reviews for HostGator.com

"Not a bad place"

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Austin, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    The ability to learn more as you go
    Catered Lunches
    Unique talent pool. Anywhere from prior hosting employees to developers to hobbyists

Cons

Pay is extremely sub-standard which results in extremely high turnover
    Emphasis is on quota/ratings, not actual solves or customer experience.
    Current quota system encourages bad behavior

Advice to Management

Pay your talent. I have personally seen some excellent co-workers go work for that other-company-that-shalt-not-be-named simply over the pay difference. If you have someone kicking butt, pay them to kick butt.

Re-evaluate the current quota system. Give supervisors the ability to 'override' poor ratings due to company wide policies.

2. "Migrations Administrator"

Current Employee - Migrations Administrator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Migrations Administrator in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back environment.
    Flexible hours
    Certifications
    Free lunches
    Snacks

Cons

Horrible office location. The offices are really old and the location is not the best place for an office.
    Compensation is not the best for administrators.
    No holiday pay.