HostGator.com - HostGator was a Great Opportunity, for which I am grateful. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for HostGator.com

"HostGator was a Great Opportunity, for which I am grateful."

Former Employee - Senior Linux Systems Administrator in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Senior Linux Systems Administrator in Austin, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to work my way up from entry level and very little Linux knowledge to a management position in the most The Linux Administration department over three years--so I would say the biggest pro is the ability to grow there. They encourage you to learn, and promotion is attainable if you work for it, and are willing to meet management expectations. Also free food and stuff.

Cons

Its changing, not as drastically as some other reviews make it out to be, but its a publicly traded company now, so its just different than it use to be. There are some benefits to that, but there are also some draw backs. One drawback is the fact its slower (but still a real possibility) to be promoted. It use to be a smoother process, that much is for sure. Also, the general atmosphere is more corporate than is use to be, and policy has become frustratingly strict in some cases.

Advice to Management

Try and recapture some of the atmosphere of how it use to be, while embracing the positive changes, and casting aside those that create new problems.

One other point I want to make is that I have no opinion of Mr.Farrar because I interacted with him very little, however, the other Officer level members of management I have interacted with are people I respect very much.

Other Employee Reviews for HostGator.com

1. "Good benefits and policies"

Former Employee - Junior Systems Administrator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Junior Systems Administrator in Austin, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free catered meal each shift; very relaxed environment; browse the Internet freely when you don't have active customer contact; 1, 2 or 3 breaks "as you want"

Cons

Stress, little to no overtime, only an hour of break total. 90 day waiting period before you can get any sort of real access to help customers. "Internal Support" knows less than much of the Tier1 staff.

Advice to Management

Give employees more latitude to help customers, earlier on in their time at HG.

2. "Constant issues bad customers."

Pros

free food and beer and games downstairs

Cons

annoying customers, crazy lay off system.

Advice to Management

get better.