Hostway - Learn a lot, but get out after getting a bit of experience | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hostway

"Learn a lot, but get out after getting a bit of experience"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL

Pros

You can learn a lot about open source technologies, linux, web hosting, and the internet.

They had some interesting development practices when I started. You could automatically sign up for a new development database and it would be provisioned for you. They had a framework that could analyze a mysql db and write data access code automatically, etc. I'm not sure if that stuff is still around tho.

Cons

They only paid employees once a month, at the end of the month. It got monotonous, and I felt I spent a lot of time integrating other people's open source work into hostway's collective - I would have rather gotten a chance to code more. Also, they wanted to roll out a new platform but set ridiculous arbitrary internal deadlines to meet it.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with more respect. Listen to them, everyone I met there was competent and cared about their job.

Other Employee Reviews for Hostway

"Really liking the new direction"

I have been working at Hostway full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Hostway is FINALY on a new very focussed path with less distractions and more unified ideals. Also im already seeing new efforts being put into place for employee satisfaction at a level which I've never seen before. I've been here a while and have payed close attention. It seems to be the effect of the new CEO's principles of valuing people, who make this business work.

- Also I must admit that Hostway has always offered great opertunity for those who do strive hard enough. I've seen many people go from tier 1 tech support to becoming a product manager or Sr Systems Admin or development. Very different from some companies that have a ceiling because they are afraid to change. Hostway has survived so long because it has become very good and morphing and changing with the times. Maybe not without costs, but that is always expected even though it sucks!

Cons

- Hostway is still missing direct accountability for all departments which can make work somewhat difficult to complete when there is no one who can answer to it.

- Pay is not the highest, and can easily be considered somewhat below average for some positions.

- There are some employees that are a bit jaded still, which to me is a sign that something else is still wrong to turn such passionate hard working people grumpy. I expect to see a change in this soon.

-Though Hostway may be amazing at morphing, it does not mean we HAVE to constantly change. Stability is important for our peace of mind and security as many of us has families. One too many changes lately. Believing that this one will finally be the last one.

Advice to Management

TALK TO EACH OTHER. Over communicate if you have to. Every manager should be aware that they are the connecting point for their team and the business. If you neglect talking to your team, you effectively cut off their flow of information about the business. But you also cut them off from the celebration of success and the learning experience of failures. Letting people learn from their failures is how you grow a high self esteem team that feel good about what they offer.

Hostway Response

Dec 29, 2016 – Hostway

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback, and thank you for your commitment to Hostway for 8 years. We agree with you that we are very focused on our path and have our 2017 Vision to work ... More

"Tier 2 Enterprise Support"

Former Employee - Tier II Enterprise Support in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Tier II Enterprise Support in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Hostway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, friendly people, and a good work environment. It was always easy to get time off to go on vacation or an event.

Cons

Unmaintained home grown software is everywhere. They adopt software as its being phased out in the industry. Very few employees that care about staying current.

Advice to Management

Stay current in the industry you are working in. Take advise from your employees more often. Better communication between departments and from management is needed.

Hostway Response

Nov 28, 2016 – Marketing Campaign Manager

Thank you so much for your feedback. We’re glad you enjoyed the people and environment while you were here, we take a lot of pride in the culture our people create. We will definitely pass your ... More