Hostway - Learn a lot, but get out after getting a bit of experience | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hostway

"Learn a lot, but get out after getting a bit of experience"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL

Pros

You can learn a lot about open source technologies, linux, web hosting, and the internet.

They had some interesting development practices when I started. You could automatically sign up for a new development database and it would be provisioned for you. They had a framework that could analyze a mysql db and write data access code automatically, etc. I'm not sure if that stuff is still around tho.

Cons

They only paid employees once a month, at the end of the month. It got monotonous, and I felt I spent a lot of time integrating other people's open source work into hostway's collective - I would have rather gotten a chance to code more. Also, they wanted to roll out a new platform but set ridiculous arbitrary internal deadlines to meet it.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with more respect. Listen to them, everyone I met there was competent and cared about their job.

Other Employee Reviews for Hostway

"COMPANY IS COLLAPSING"

Current Employee - Junior Systems Administrator in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Junior Systems Administrator in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Hostway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some friendly staff. Some perks.

Cons

Everything. Wages are low, staff is limited and poorly managed. They are not certified in anything, other than giving you excuses or failed promises. They are not a "Global Leader" in anything, except for most customers lost. Management is horrific. All of the skilled and experienced people have left Hostway. From all being fired or quitting. Like sailors jumping off a sinking boat. I have seen more people leave or get fired that have more skill then 20 people combined within their staff.

There are no "Teams" of anything. It's mainly a handful of guys that know what they are doing and a lot of dead weight. Customers and employee's are leaving this place faster than you can blink. After a recent firing of an employee, that I considered to be one of the most knowledge ones in their field, I will be leaving this place soon. There is nothing left. Join this team if you want your career to end.

Advice to Management

Listen to your technical people and hire people that have skills and knowledge, instead of hiring more managers that fail over and over.

2. "Great Entry Level Work Experience"

Former Employee - Technical Support in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Hostway full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Free Lunch on Wednesdays
    - Family like work culture
    - Flexible vacation time
    - Great learning opportunities for a driven individual
    - Good learning opportunity for someone fresh out of college

Cons

- Wages for Technical Support and System Administrators do not keep up with industry peers
    - Managers and Directors do not have a former education, lack industry foresight, and generally make poor decisions
    - Company is not large enough to survive competition in the long run

Advice to Management

Keep your LinkedIn profile and resume up to date. The company will be sold or go out of business within 2 - 5 years time.