Hot Topic - Decent first job | Glassdoor

"Decent first job"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Owings Mills, MD
Former Employee - Key Holder in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

pretty simple job at all positions, get to listen mostly to the kind of music you like (assuming you like metal) great discount, will easily work around a personal schedule (band practice and shows ect), doesn't take long to get promoted if your'e good

Cons

low pay but that's average, pretty much only way in is starting seasonal and working up, the style of the store has changed a lot in the last few years and isn't what i used to be

Advice to Management

store managers, keep your cool when dealing with exchanges and returns, the little mall rats and their parents don't know any better.

Other Employee Reviews for Hot Topic

1. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Hot Topic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love my job at Hot Topic. It is the best place I have ever worked in my life and my boss is so dedicated about my team and my development. I have never had someone so invested in me, ever.

Cons

I wish we had more hours to work with and to give my team members more hours for their paycheck.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I love that I work here and have a family away from home.

2. "Terrible district manager + low pay"

Former Employee - Part-Time Assistant Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Part-Time Assistant Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed being at the front of pop-culture and also having access to the latest in music and some fashion trends (not all)

Cons

Terrible wages.. My district manager lied to me about what I would be paid when I got promoted. Policy seemed to change weekly and it was a lot of work just for general upkeep of the store on top of petty little "visual merchandising" activities throughout the week. Overall I would never suggest anyone to work there. You get stuck at a certain level like I did. There was NO room for promotion whatsoever. So many people have been doing the same job for a few years with incredible dedication only to realize that they aren't going anywhere after a few years.

Advice to Management

Get involved in the day to day life of your stores. Perform actual reviews of District Managers. From what I hear some are good, and for a period of time I had a good DM. Then I got put back with the one who lied about pay, played favorites, and was disrespectful to all of his employees.