Hot Topic - A love of music, culture and people. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hot Topic

"A love of music, culture and people."

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked here for over five years now. I have seen some great and terrible company changes. I love my staff and my customers. We try to make our store a place that everyone can call home. I get to meet some really crazy people and learn about music and pop culture. I try to work with my staff so we all get an understanding for one another and always offer an open door. Being small staffed we can really have one on one sessions and bring a little advise to each other. My co workers are my best friends and team mates!

Cons

Our payroll is REALLY low. We are a small store and it becomes hard to properly train everyone when we don't have the time. We are expected to throw the noobies out there and if they don't get it, get rid of them. While we have never used this process, I know other managers who have. It's just not ideal and not fair. We only have one full time employee so it's tough luck for everyone else when it comes to hours. We try to make it as fair as possible. Pay is not that great either. Newly hired are started out on minimum wage. Being there 5 years I'm only making about $3 more than when I started, which was not a lot to begin with.

Advice to Management

Let the stores that are doing well, manage the business. We know what works for our community so let us do it. No more last minute promo changes. No more exceptions for the crappy customer who comes to start a fight so they can get their way. We have a return policy for a reason. No more secret shoppers. No more key items! I love this company and I only want to see it grow and become a part of people's lives. I wish we had more incentives and drives to help our employees feel appreciated. Payroll is a big part of it. More full time opportunities and pay increase.

Other Employee Reviews for Hot Topic

"Fun but crap pay!"

Former Employee - Key Holder
    Former Employee - Key Holder

I worked at Hot Topic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get an excellent discount, so this comes in handy when they want you to promote the items in the store. Fun music.

Cons

They try to start you at the very bottom of minimum wage. The managers are sneaky. Hard to get a promotion.

Advice to Management

Pay more! Management decides how much they want to start you off at but they choose the bare bottom! Also, management in the store I worked at constantly stole and when it was reported the DM said to mind your own business! Terrible terrible practices at this company.

"good job in the mall"

I worked at Hot Topic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

music and cool merchandise to sell

Cons

too many pogs, low payroll

Advice to Management

be ready to move alot of stuff.