Hot Topic - Hot Topic | Glassdoor

"Hot Topic"

Pros

Fun work environment. Good coworkers

Cons

Customers are annoying. Lots of push for deals.

Other Employee Reviews for Hot Topic

"Very Disappointed"

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Hot Topic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company offers very good benefits to its Full Time employees. Additionally, it appears that the home office infrastructure is improving. Unfortunately, this is where it ends.

Cons

No incentive to keep talent and extremely poor ethics and accountability at upper management levels. I'm currently a DM for this brand; however, it is the same experience in each brand. Disorganized Store Operations, Unethical treatment of employees and an HR team that has little training or compassion, Long hours for store management with no regard for their work-life balance, Poor Field guidance, Older DMs and RDs are extremely resistant to change and are not receptive to outside talent, training programs do not exist in reality, and store systems are archaic which creates chaos for store teams. Overall, I would not recommend this company.

Advice to Management

I can recall an RD commenting about Hot Topic's "poor reputation" in the field of retail and that person puzzling over why that could be.... Well, I can answer this question. A company is only as good as its people. While there are some amazing folks working here... honestly, the store teams are simply awesome!!!! The Regional Talent and DM talent is all over the place with not much guidance. I have never seen such unprofessional behavior from a group of upper managers. VPs that are really glorified Regionals, Regionals that are really retail dinosaurs that want to 'do it the old way... the way it's always been done", and internally promoted DMs that would not cut it as store managers in most other retailers. So, why is your talent fleeing? Why can you not retain people or improve your image in the industry? Look inward. Prior to raising the bar at the stores, perhaps you need to start with your current upper management. Perhaps provide an employee friendly Human Resource Team that actually cares about ethics, morality, and employee well-being versus protecting the very causes of the issues. It is sad, but I do not see improvement. I absolutely love all of my store teams and truly care about them; however, I'm in final interviews with a reputable organization and will not think twice when I receive an offer. This was one of the biggest mistakes that I ever made in my retail career. I really do want to see this company succeed, but I can only see failure based upon its current management culture of fear, intimidation, and poor ethics. Very, very sad.

"Seen better days... or... Another corporate giant loses its way."

Former Employee - Hot Topic Keyholder in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Hot Topic Keyholder in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wear what you want; listen to awesome music @ work; decent non-pay benefits (if you know they exist) Generally you get to work with some pretty cool people and an awesome customer base. Good employee discounts: 40% for general merch and 20 % on music and electronics.

Cons

Bad pay, don't expect to make more than your state's minimum wage during your first year with the company unless you work at an extremely high volume or over-performing store. As it has grown the company has lost sight of its core values in terms of corporate philosophy, charitable outreach, and in the way it treats its employees. Policy has change from one of mentoring and developing dedicated employees from within to one where employees are more akin to dispensable slave workers. Most problems are not at the store level but stem from District and Regional management and up to the disarray of HQ. Programs like supporting local artists and in-store performances have become a thing of the past.

Advice to Management

As a company, if you loose sight of what makes you unique you may find you lose your customers as well.