Hot Topic - Used to be the best job I ever had | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hot Topic

"Used to be the best job I ever had"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
Current Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Hot Topic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun work environment, great team (in store)awesome discounts and benefits, wear what you want kind of dress code, visible tattoos are ok.

Cons

Pay is awful for what is required of you. Payroll hours are always at a minimum, do more with less philosophy. There is no company standard HQ will tell you to do one thing and upper management (regional and district managers) will tell you to do another. Very disorganized company. Poor communication between store level upper management and HQ. Everything always feels very last minute and everything is always rushed because of that. No room for promotion.

Advice to Management

You have to spend money to make money, give the store the tools they need to get the job done in example the payroll and the people to get it done. Give stores more opportunity to plan, make sure everything is not last minute. Follow up with your upper management and make sure they are following the company standard set by HQ. I think if our CEO was ever on that undercover boss show,she wouldn't finish it or go home every night and cry.

Other Employee Reviews for Hot Topic

1. "Such a FUN and laid back environment to work in."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Hot Topic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The store management team is really great. They have a way of making even the hardest of Hot Topic tasks [store moves, rushes, recieving, sorting, and distributing new shipments, etc] fun and enjoyable... as well as my fellow associates. All of my co-workers are just a joy to be around. The store itself is arranged and organized in a way that isn't too crowded or difficult to navigate around [which I find to be the case in a lot of mall stores]. Your paycheck comes in the form of a debit card

Cons

Our break room is tiny but that's not their fault, haha.

Advice to Management

None really...they're all great to work with.

2. "I am a 42 year old mother to a teen and we are in the store so much they offered me a seasonal job. I am so excited."

Current Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employee discount and the fellow co-workers. The staff has always been so kind to my daughter and treated her like an adult even though she is only 13. They are on a first name basis and treat her like family. They always show her new merchandise that has come in since our last visit and they know all the bands that she likes and particular merchandise she would be interested in.

Cons

Not enough money to buy the whole store.