Hotwire - Remains a cool place to work....actually better! | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Hotwire

"Remains a cool place to work....actually better!"

Pros

The place is crawling with brainiacs. They may be quiet; they may have their heads down but they're seriously smart. And not just the "new" employees. "Old Timers" didn't get that way from being sub-par performers. It's fun (for me, at least) to know I work with people who could indeed answer all the "impossible" interview questions but don't come off as Mensa nimrods. Just doin' the job, doing it well and having fun while doing it.

Cons

I don't want to be a complete Pollyanna, but if one must work, one might as well do it at a place like Hotwire. Like any workplace, a single day can be ruined by an absent-minded co-worker or a tough deadline but, all in all, I think people feel valued and genuinely proud of their company.

Advice to Management

Ummmm....it would be a mistake to say something bad about management, or senior management. Not because I'm afraid (although I do get nervous around Mr. Bason!) but because, from where I sit, things are going well. Really well.

Other Employee Reviews for Hotwire

1. "Good place to work, nice people"

Pros

hours are flexible,
    people are nice
    management team is stable

Cons

Company is a little small, no stocks from this year

Advice to Management

management is stable and know what they are doing

"Fast pace, exciting business--huge opportunity for growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hotwire has changed a lot in the past few years, and for those who enjoy having a hand in the evolution of a business, this is a really cool opportunity. As others have noted, this is a unique company because it maintains the scrappiness of a startup but has the backing and long-term focus of a mature organization. I like knowing that I truly make an impact every day and that I'm not just a cog in the machine. Some of the other pros include:
    -Lots of career growth opportunity. Many top leaders are homegrown from within Hotwire or Expedia, including our President
    -Incredibly smart, dedicated people. They challenge me to be my best every day.
    -The opportunity to learn. From different people, from different projects, and from the experience of making Hotwire better.
    -Unique product. While the travel industry is crowded, Hotwire is one of only 2 major companies offering an opaque product. As a result, we consistently have access to the lowest prices on hotels and cars anywhere--our challenge comes in figuring out how to present these deals to customers in a compelling way.
    -Exciting industry. Who doesn't love travel? I like working for a company whose product I can speak proudly about.
    -Culture of open communication and feedback. Nobody would think twice about an entry-level new hire sharing ideas with a VP or the President. Likewise, the leadership team makes every effort to solicit input at all levels of the organization
    -Great benefits and perks, including hefty vacation time, travel benefits, and a brand-new office in SF with good snacks and drinks, with tons of employee events

Cons

To get the full value out of your experience at Hotwire, you need to truly believe in what you're doing and be passionate about it. Employees who are showing up just to 'do a job' will not be satisfied with the lack of rigid structure and direction.

There's been tons of change in the last few years in terms of organizational structure, leadership, and priorities. For a lot of people, this is uncomfortable. For others, it spells opportunity.

While we do behave like a startup in many senses, we are a big established company. There is room for innovation, but we're not trying to re-invent the wheel. We know who we are and who our customer is, and our focus at this point is largely on execution. Employees looking to shoot for the moon with ideas that take us in a totally new direction might be better suited for an actual startup that is in its infancy.

Like every organization, we have challenges. They will not disappear overnight. I think our LT has done a good job of prioritizing what needs to be addressed first, but there's no doubt that certain areas of our business are a work in progress. To thrive, you need to take the long-term approach and realize that what matters most is moving toward an ideal state over time--not fixing every problem all at once.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on what makes Hotwire special, and work hard to bring in people who share this vision. Our people will be the key to our success.

Hotwire Response

Dec 1, 2017 – HR Director, Hotwire

So glad to hear about your positive experiences and that you feel you truly make an impact at Hotwire every day. Thank you!