Houghton Mifflin Harcourt - Great product, great people, but little room for career growth. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

"Great product, great people, but little room for career growth."

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Smart, professional co-workers, all dedicated to making a great product that they believe in.

Cons

After five years of merger turmoil, declining sales, layoffs and now coming out of Chapter 11, the resulting smaller workforce is overqualified with little chance for advancement or career growth.

Other Employee Reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

1. "Bittersweet sentiments and compliment."

Former Employee - Editor in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Editor in Evanston, IL

I worked at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Promoted 3 times within 5 years of my 11. My team was the best, making my experience at HM much better. Before merging with Hartcourt, the company dynamic was not the best, but the people were awesome, I loved my job, and felt a sense of "worth". The work I did, no matter how big or small, was an educational contribution to our nation's school districts.

Cons

After HM acquired Harcourt, things changed dramatically. Issues that matter, such as quality improvement for employees and our work, was overlooked and downplayed for the sake of making a profit. This is just my opinion, it doesn't reflect what others think and I'm hopeful HMH's culture and value has gotten better.

"Unstable"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Talented group of sales reps that truly believe in providing support to educators. When you make your sales quota you can greatly benefit financially.

Cons

Constant change in upper management and restructuring. Technology needs to be updated as do supplemental materials. Very hard to compete while little is being invested in new materials. Management is not always honest. They say what they think you want them to hear.

Advice to Management

We all knew when the company filed for Chapter 13 it was going to be difficult to maintain the sales force as it was but for 10 months we were constantly told there would be no work reduction. In the end there was a total restructuring and loss of employment for 100's.