Houghton Mifflin Harcourt - Great work life balance | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

"Great work life balance"

Current Employee - Finance in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Finance in Boston, MA

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GREAT work life balance, if you are looking for a strict 9-5 this is the place. Additionally, the salary is great (for the orlando office) but may be low for Massachusettes residence.

Cons

Very Top Heavy, titles are inflated. One may have a Director or VP title but responsibilities can merely be a manager or Sr. manager at another company.

Advice to Management

Allow the Corporate office to perform as a Corporate office. The "shared service center" in Orlando runs the show.

Other Employee Reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

"Work environment and growth opportunities have dropped significantly since 2007 mergers."

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Creating and selling quality educational products is an honorable profession. The company is moving toward creating a more robust collection of digital products which should serve them well in the future.

Cons

Multiple mergers leading to multiple office locations created a poor environment for team communication and collaboration. Much of the staff is overbooked with meetings and contacting peers for support is challenging and time consuming - slowing sown the work processes.

Advice to Management

Streamline excessive product offerings to allow employees to focus on what is important to company success. Improve internal communications - i.e answer emails and pick up the phone.

"Re-organizing again???"

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the people that I work with and the work that I attempt to do on a daily basis. The pay is very good and I feel appreciated overall by those that I work with on a regular basis.

Cons

In general, the people higher up Senior VP level and above, don't know WHAT my team and I bring to this company. HMH is lagging behind in technology and digital education something fierce. It's becoming more than scary and my team heads up this area, so we KNOW this and see it every day in the districts that we walk into. The company seems to supports us, then I hear that we're going to be laid off in the next round of re-organization that's coming in Q2. So...it looks like we're all looking for jobs?
    This company has re-organized several times in just the past year since going through bankruptcy and I've seen hundreds of people laid off. What is needed here is stability so people can stop panicking and may focus on our jobs.

Advice to Management

Please embrace the future of technology in education- along with the textbooks. They can go together and HMH is getting so far behind. The reorganization has to stop every three months. No, we aren't hitting revenue numbers, but without at least a year with some stability, it's not going to happen.