Houghton Mifflin Harcourt - Worst Internship of my Life | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

"Worst Internship of my Life"

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Geneva, IL
Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Geneva, IL

I worked at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The best thing about this internship was quitting and moving on to a REAL internship.

Cons

They totally lied about the internship position and told me it was going to be a "marketing" internship. It was basically a telelmarketing internship. 40hrs a week, all summer long. They were also so stingy about paying us, we got unpaid 30 min lunches so our days were from 7:30am till 4pm. If we were 1 minute late, we had to stay an extra minute at the end of the day. Felt like I was in bootcamp or something. All we had to do was call school districts and ask what tests they offerered their students. Pretty simply and mundane right? I got "fired" (even though actually I had quit first) because I was texting on my phone too much. Pretty sure I can handle reading off a script with a headset on while texting! Anyway, my supervisor had the audacity to tell me to work my last 2 hours unpaid in order to make up for all my time wasted while texting. At that moment, I knew she was on crack and thus I took my talents elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Don't treat interns like they're parolees. Lighten up a bit, it won't kill you!

Other Employee Reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

"What it's like to work for Channel One Network"

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in New York, NY

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great, friendly people. The people make this company a place to look forward to everyday. : )
    -Benefits are decent, including AETNA medical, Guardian dental & vision, Lincoln Life & AD&D, 401k with co. matching, employee appreciation events, etc.
    -laid back environment, flexible schedule depending on personal appointments, no formal dress code
    -management is approachable and down-to-earth,; egos left at the door

Cons

-Human resources are tight so many employees are handling a lot of different jobs
    -Company is start-up in environment so we are still a growing company who has a long ways to becoming more established

Advice to Management

-When we become successful, tenured employees and worker bees should definitely be the first in line to be appreciated.

2. "Great Place to Work, Mixed Vision"

Current Employee - Supply Planner in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Supply Planner in Boston, MA

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great Work/life balance
    -Fun people to work with

Cons

-Not the most practical company. You have a lot of people who have been there for a long time and who are not practical about spending/the goal of a company to be profitable