House of Blues - Excellent experience! | Glassdoor

"Excellent experience!"

Pros

Supportive people locally, and great assistance from national HOB leadership; good performers are encouraged and acknowledged. Best, friendliest coworkers EVER, and laid-back manager who sets high expectations but treats us like big boys and girls. Wear whatever and have some fun! Just get the job done right and on time- not much else is allowed to become a silly issue between management and staff.

Cons

It can be a little hard to get used to the tight quarters and noise levels. If you are looking for quiet, formal atmosphere where it is all business...look elsewhere...we can be a bit loud :)

Advice to Management

Keep offering the support to the venues and listen to their needs. You are doing great. Invest more in your workers' computer equipment.

Other Employee Reviews for House of Blues

1. "Best people I've worked with and worst people I've worked for"

I worked at House of Blues (More than a year)

Pros

The property staff and management are wonderful. It's a fun, casual environment with a group of people who care about each other. The food is great as are the concerts. Property management knows their stuff. .

Cons

The corporate office makes everything difficult. The stick their nose into decisions that should be made at the propert level and have no clue what they're talking about. Everyone has 12 corporate bosses and they all love to tell you what to do and they all say something different. No one from corporate ever gives you a pat on the back

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to butt out!

"Was a really great company before going public, it still has a great history but its a shell of its former self."

I worked at House of Blues full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work environment, corporate culture, the best experience I ever had, prior to Live Nation sale. The model was brilliant. Not only sell them their favorite artist in an intimate environment, but then sell them a made from scratch in house meal with great service instead of having them stop at Fridays on the way to the show, sell them a t-shirt on the way out, and maybe even a membership to the joint. It was built on a reverence for the needs of the artist so the best names wanted to play there even though it was an underplay, some really great branding and promotions people, and an employee-first culture. Profitable, and principled.

Cons

We did $20 Million in profit the year before the takeover. After only 2 years, it was down to $8 Million. Why? After the Live Nation sale, it was a study in how to damage a company. They fired all the smartest corporate execs, promoted the screwups and the suckups, it was actually painful to watch, and an embarassment. After I left, I identified who I thought were the most competent GM's, and watched them get fired one by one. My understanding is that they were found to be generally disrespecful and negative. Only a couple good ones are left there now. Talent buyers, among the best in the business, were tapped to give operational instruction, which is the last thing they are good at. Lots of buddy-hiring, tons of fundamental lack of understanding the areas that arent backstage. I stuck with it for a long time after the sale. I became convinced that the CEO Rapino is the problem, so until he is replaced even if he brings in good leaders he will hamstring and intimidate them into underperforming.

Advice to Management

In trying to reintroduce "soul" to the brand, I have heard of all kinds of efforts such as bringing the founder around to the venues for talks, etc. To get back on a growth path, start with safety measures, that were cut out for cost savings, good people wont work for you without them. Then hire HR managers in all clubs, and make ethical behavior a standard for your leaders. Finally, stop trying to manage with a franchise cookie cutter mentality. Beef doesnt sell well as well in California, and Veggie doesnt sell as well in Texas. Allow each club to run like a local club, fire the GM if they cant grow it, but otherwise set a big picture profit goal and stop trying to micromanage how that gets achieved. The costs you are cutting because you know best are the ones needed to build it back. And get a new CEO. Any of the former top ranks of HOB would be good choices, they were all fantastic. The CEO you have was never qualified - you would do better with someone from Nabisco who knew jack about music. At least they would listen to their team and not feel obligated to appear to be the smartest person in every room.