Houzz - The best company I have ever worked for! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Houzz

"The best company I have ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Irvine, CA
Current Employee - Account Executive in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Houzz is such a vibrant, colorful, cool and rewarding place to work. I have never experienced a culture quite like Houzz that has recognized my efforts and nurtured my inside sales role quite like this company- Houzz has it NAILED! I look forward to coming into work everyday and can honestly say that I love my job and my clients! The growth that I've been able to see and experience in such a short amount of time has me very excited for the future of the company as well as the future for myself.

In addition, the sales process and training that is put into place for the account executive position has been proven and has set me up for continued success.

Cons

We don't have a barista on site. But, the fully stocked fridge with tons of healthy food will do!

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work! You've all contributed amazing talents and expertise that have laid unbelievable foundation to the success of this company!

Other Employee Reviews for Houzz

"Beware of the Evil Style Guide and be prepared to earn minimum wage, if that."

Former Freelancer - Copywriter and Translator in Berlin (Germany)
    Former Freelancer - Copywriter and Translator in Berlin (Germany)

I worked at Houzz (More than a year)

Pros

The only one that I could discern was being able to work from home.

Cons

The pay is extremely low, and stress is high, even when working from home, because they require absolute PERFECTION so you must spend hours reviewing even the smallest details. No mistakes are allowed, so be prepared to memorise their ludicrous Style Guide so you can even begin to defend yourself when they take up the "red pen". While training the copywriters to obey, the nice native speakers who directly oversee the copywriters are kind and appear flexible, but the sensation is that non-native speakers in higher-up positions have the last word on what is proper use and what isn't. Sorry. I have two masters degrees in translation and English, so I don't think that Germans, Russians and Italians get to have the final call on what is "good use" of English and what is not. Again, they refer to the Style Guide to make these final calls, which is an asinine, incomplete mess if ever there was one. That being said, if the SG doesn't resolve doubts, you can subscribe to another style guide online, which they approve of, but which costs money every month!

Advice to Management

Be real. If you are going to maintain standards of perfection, your Bible of reference has to be perfect, too. The "thanks for pointing out that this wasn't in the Style Guide" is all very courteous and so forth, but it's not part of the copywriting job to elaborate this guide for them. It corresponds to the people who wrote/write it to have that information there from Day One and not "add as you go." To that effect, a contemplation of all possible variations and exceptions should be undertaken because, as with most things in life, the rules are self-evident and mostly no-brainers: it's the exceptions that cause doubts.

All in all, I felt like my job was mostly helping them test the beta version of their heinous, absurd Style Guide.

2. "Houzz: sales is king"

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Berlin (Germany)
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Berlin (Germany)

I have been working at Houzz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Salaries slightly above the average
    -fruits, coffee and drinks
    - Wednesday birthday cakes
    - International fast-pacing environment
    - Startup backed by Sequoia Capital and other big VC's

If you are looking for a "wolf of wall street" experience, Houzz is the perfect company for you.

Cons

Houzz is a very corporate like start up who received millions from big VCs and the management basically tend to portrait a fake reality out of their beautiful offices when indeed there is the only goal to go public and use people just until they are useful to fulfill temporary predefined goals. You will find out your own that they opened an instagram profile in which they try to show only the best side of the coin, they are also trying to set up a series of events at their office in Berlin in order to promote and spread the idea of how beautiful is the Houzz brand when there is just a toxic hypocrisy as backdrop that you will realize soon after you get hired: the idea of a Houzz family just doesn't cope with the true reality of your day by day life as employee. When they decide to fire someone they also try to not abide by german laws in order to deceive the employee by letting him sign a farewell contract against his/her rights, that's why many of my colleagues decided to proceed with legal actions against the company winning over it.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to sell how beautiful Houzz offices are instead change radically the way you treat your employees.