Howard County Government - It was fun and interesting. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Howard County Government

"It was fun and interesting."

Pros

I really enjoyed my job. I had a lot of freedom to work on a schedule that worked for me. Also, my job allowed me the opportunity to travel (in the county) as required to complete my duties. It was really nice on slow days in the office. Great people too.

Cons

Downsides about working for the government? Lack of motivation among employees; lack of funding - you're always afraid that the funding for your position or job is going to be cut; too much bureaucracy - need I say more?

Other Employee Reviews for Howard County Government

1. "Progressive, affluent county government..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Howard County Government full-time

Pros

Howard County Maryland is comprised of a population that is highly educated, savvy, and knowledgeable. As a result, their expectations of the county government are high, and fortunately they have elected officials that are very aware of this reality. Overall, great employer.

Cons

As with all government organizations, there is bureaucratic "red tape" that must be handled accordingly. I experienced a minimal amount of political game playing, but eventually it became enough to justify moving on in my career.

Advice to Management

Try to seriously consider the young professionals in your organizations. They are your successors, and as such you should train them for greatness. Encourage their ambition by offering them opportunities, and in turn they will make you look great.

2. "DoD Contractor in MD"

I have been working at Howard County Government full-time

Pros

some flexibility, opportunity to meet people

Cons

Bad leadership, too much nonsensical driving required to travel between meetings, no coherent mission. Priorities always changing. No sense of team work.