HubSpot - Incredible opportunity to work with smart, passionate people and have an impact | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for HubSpot

"Incredible opportunity to work with smart, passionate people and have an impact"

Current Employee - Marketing in Cambridge, MA
Current Employee - Marketing in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time

Pros

HubSpot has the most amazing group of people I could ask to work with - across all departments, from interns to executives. Everyone works incredibly hard, is excited to come into work every day, and is constantly pushing themselves and the company to the next step. I've learned so much from the people here and it's one of the main reasons I've stayed at the company.

On top of that, the culture is fantastic - from the transparency to the flat meritocracy to the fun events. Plus the company truly has an exciting mission and gives employees crazy goals and the freedom to figure out how to achieve them.

For any challenges we face - whether it's our aggressive growth goals or internal growing pains - employees are truly in control of our fate. Everyone's ideas are heard and encouraged, and it feels like it's up to us to create this awesome company.

Cons

HubSpot does have a very intense culture. The goals are aggressive and everyone is very ambitious. It's easy to get burnt out, but the company does encourage vacations and taking breaks and offers a flexible working environment. In addition, the company didn't have a lot of experience among its leadership regarding management or other more traditional skills. Thankfully, we're investing a lot in such team development initiatives and we can already see progress in that area.

Advice to Management

Don't get too removed from the front lines as we grow. It's fantastic that everyone is empowered to make decisions, but we sometimes need strong executive leadership. And, when you do make any whole-company-affecting decisions, take input from the front line employees to make sure you're in tune with what's going on.

Other Employee Reviews for HubSpot

1. "Great place to work if expectations are properly set"

Current Employee - Inbound Marketing Specialist | Account Executive in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are amazing
    Company has a real genuine mission
    Desire and actively working towards a game-changing culture
    Real-life, actual transparency. Not 'we're transparent' with no follow-through like many other companies
    Fast-paced and changes direction quickly
    Any negative is openly discussed and worked to improve
    Product works and internal thought-leadership is second-to-none

Cons

Sales compensation and the way commissions are paid are misleading and less than anticipated until reps are very tenured and have sizable install-bases
    Quota increases / compensation-decreases the month after the best sales year of all time

Advice to Management

I'm a happy employee, enjoy my job, enjoy going into work, and have never had a better job...but being a sales rep and consistently hitting your numbers is difficult (that's fine, it should be challenging) and the compensation is not what I would expect for a company like HubSpot. That being said, this could be changed with better expectation-setting during the hiring process as vague and ever-changing things like 'OTE' should be explained more so there is not a bait-and-switch feeling when you see more details on how deals are paid out.

2. "Wears its culture on its sleeve."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hands down the most transparent company I've heard of. Board decks, financials, the role of gender in the company. All of it is on the very active and thoughtful wiki.

Wears its culture on its sleeve. If you read these reviews and think "yeah, I'm up for the challenge" then it's great.

Centralized authority and trust. Management is careful to not be top down. Exciting, if sometimes disorganized. Feels like a 40 person company.

Pre-IPO run-up is an exhilarating.

Cons

You break it you buy it. Authority to do your own thing means you own success and failure.

Culture can be a bit fratty.

Reliance on some superstars can feel like favoritism.

Advice to Management

Love the transparency. Clear communication of the vision is the only thing that keeps the decentralized authority from being a train wreck.
    Keep keeping the focus on customers, not money/deals/features.