HubSpot - A great company eyeing to go great places | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for HubSpot

"A great company eyeing to go great places"

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Cambridge, MA
Current Employee - Support Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best trait of HubSpot is by far the people - my co-workers make my days not just tolerable, but enjoyable. I think that I can safely say that everyone at HubSpot works hard, but not so hard that you lose the ability to have a life or friends outside of the office. If I've needed days or half-days off, I've never been given angry eyes or felt like I was being judged for it.

On that note, the vacation policy is hard to beat. It was recently amended that you must take two weeks minimum (to cover for the dark side of "no vacation policy"), but can take infinity otherwise (the company meeting actually used the infinity symbol).

I feel challenged at my job - not in a way where I feel I cannot succeed or am fighting an uphill battle, but in the way where each day has some new challenges and isn't the day that it was before. I work an eight hour day regularly and do not feel pressured to work more, nor is my workload one that requires more.

I think one of the biggest pros though is that I can tell that the management actually actually cares about the employees - and not in some superficial "You matter to us" way, but in a real, "We invest in you and do things to show that how you feel is actually important." It's little things, but when there was a city-wide emergency, they made sure that everyone was safe, accounted for and had a way home; they survey us and list our grievances publicly, giving a plan of action for how to deal with them; the founders and executive team sit at open desks and encourage anyone to stop by. It's in the things that no one expects or requires that show a real investment in the employees.

Cons

Some positions are clearly in a better spot than others - those on the sales side are clearly (and not unjustifiably) pushed to reach their numbers. Sometimes, hitting those numbers comes with on-boarding customers who may not be ready for HubSpot, which can burden members of that team, as well as support.

Additionally, there appears at times to be a divide between support and other parts of the company. HubSpot is valued for its support team - you can call in and have someone answer the phone, most times, within a minute - and be walked through almost any problem you have. However, there is palpable tension over the compensation of this team and the value that seems to go sometimes unmentioned.

Advice to Management

Don't lose touch with base - as HubSpot grows, the risk is inherent - always remember where the company started. As HubSpot continues to explode, continue to give back to those who are putting their all in to making it possible.

Other Employee Reviews for HubSpot

"Pretty on the surface."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at HubSpot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Resume stamp of approval
    - Everyone knows HubSpot in Boston
    - Lots of really smart, driven, and interesting people
    - You'll learn a ton about startups and build connections around Boston
    - Inbound marketing really is the future.
    - #GSD culture

Cons

- forced culture as they started to scale
    - absolutely no competence in middle management
    - lots of politics
    - favoritism
    - jerk attitude at times that makes you feel like what you're doing isn't worth anything
    - too many software rewrites
    - feature overloaded product

Advice to Management

The product seriously needs a lot of work. Focus on getting existing features in the software to actually be stable instead of launching new features one after another. What's the use of something new when customers haven't even learned the existing tools well.

In the end, I feel like the point of actually listening to the customer has somewhat been lost. Just look at the NPS and the churn rate. Fix and polish what exists. You're a big company now. You have a responsibility to the customers. Start acting the part.

Oh yeah, and take a closer look at middle management. It's a disaster. A lot of them lack people skills which is why I think HubSpot is starting to solve for itself rather than for the customer.

"An amazing place to establish your career or take it to the next level. You will never stop learning."

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Hit your numbers and the world is your oyster. Seriously. If you get hired and do a good job at the job you were hired for, many exciting opportunities arise and often find you before you need to seek out something new
    - Incredible support and guidance from managers and the team as a whole. Blank slates / open minds are welcomed and even encouraged. Training is on-going and thorough and there are so many resources that will help make sure that you can and will succeed
    - Great place to establish your career, regardless of your age / expertise. No matter who you are, if you spend 2 years working at HubSpot, you should walk out with a very good understanding of what it means to build a company, how to launch an experiment, what types of metrics the company needs to hit in order to reach our fullest potential, why those metrics matter, and so much more.
    - It is a FUN place to work. This has nothing to do with the beer fridge and ping pong table. This has to do with endless challenges that everyone is invited to help tackle. This has to do with a strong network of colleagues, many of whom will help form your professional network far beyond HubSpot. This has to do with a culture where its appropriate to challenge authority and where big bold risks are generally compensated with great rewards and recognition.

Cons

HubSpot is not for everyone. People work because they're passionate about spreading inbound marketing and seeing the company succeed. If you want a strict 9-5 this is not the best place for you.

Advice to Management

I love that most of the exec team members are not industry vets. They're smart people ready to break the norms about how a company should be run in the 21st century and they're extremely accessible to all employees at HubSpot. That said, we can always use a lot of outside perspective to make sure we're heading in the right direction, so I'd propose hiring more outside consultants that have been around the block to validate or challenge our decisions.