Humana - So far so good | Glassdoor

"So far so good"

Current Employee - Telesales Specialist in Tampa, FL
Current Employee - Telesales Specialist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Humana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay. Healthcare reform may bring even better pay.

Cons

I hear there is alot of outbound calling if your are not a top producer during AEP ( annual enrollment period for medicare 10/15 through 12/7 of each year.

Advice to Management

Pay a per-diem to all agents during AEP that have perfect clock in time, break time, and lunch time. This will give a larger incentive for people to be ready to take those calls during AEP and will provide a perfect telesales experience to the customers by lowering their hold times.

Other Employee Reviews for Humana

1. "I enjoyed working for Humana. Fair company"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lancaster, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lancaster, SC

I worked at Humana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, salary, Flexible schedule, great work environment

Cons

Cold Calls, Minimum requirement,
    Scheduled meetings

"Humana Is A Superb Stepping Stone"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Humana full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company spares no expense when it comes to learning opportunities. The educational resources alone are enough to seriously consider employment with Humana. There are so many resources that one will be challenged to find them all. The fact that this company spares no expense when it comes to investment in the associates' overall well-being is why I give it three stars despite negative items I'll list. I speak from personal experience in my current department. I can't claim that the entire company is rotten as I've only worked in a single department.

Cons

If culture had a smell, the stench inside my department would be unbearable. The leadership who should be professional and lead by example are often heard engaging in hateful generalizations about men; there is a blatant lack of respect for males at Humana. Production goals are unrealistic due leadership’s lack of knowledge of required processes; and this fact forces associates to cut corners which increases the chance of inconvenience to the customer. Fellow associates are often obnoxious due in part to being a byproduct of the toxic and stress inducing environment. Leadership with no knowledge of the supervised associates' work type is the norm. The culture in the MSO department breeds distrust, the very person who smiles at you will be the one stabbing you in the back for a few APAT brownies. Speaking of APAT, you will never get a raise unless you are liked by someone in power, say your frontline leader. The APAT is nothing more than a smokescreen used to justify who gets raises. It is a document with predetermined, vaguely defined “competencies” that are redefined each year to fit the associates who are favorites among leadership. This process is called “calibrations” and it is a sickening display politics. You are judged by everything. The words you speak and write will be used against you. Do not make the mistake of thinking your words won’t affect getting a raise, the sellout standing next to you is like a built in surveillance apparatus.

Humana almost has a cult-like feel. Those who have "drank the cool-aid" will preach of feeling like family or speak of the company as if it is a deity. Humana has a nice green logo and smiling faces to create warmth and glow for its brand, but depending on what business unit you find yourself, it is rotten to the core. The company boldly expresses a “what have you done for me lately attitude.” Imagine a Warren Buffet refusing a child a lollipop unless that child washes the windows of his vehicle, pretty self-serving.

Despite all the maladies that plague this company, or at least my department, I still recommend seeking employment here for the positive reasons I listed above. Despite the fact that you’ll never be compensated what you’re worth working for this company, it has provided the best thing one can get for free; knowledge. Use Humana as a stepping stone and then take your newly acquired skills elsewhere. I don’t believe there are very many companies who provide the educational resources found here. The culture within is a lemon, but the lemon-aid is the best.

Advice to Management

To corporate leadership I would advise more attention to internal issues that impact associates. I don't think you realize the power we have elevate the Humana brand by truly walking the talk. Stop believing the lies your managers feed you through fear induced answers from fake associate engagement surveys. Truly make your employees happy with all the values you preach to us and you will save billions in advertisement costs via word of mouth promotion alone.