Huntington Ingalls Industries - Golden Handcuffs. | Glassdoor

"Golden Handcuffs."

Current Employee - Electrician in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Huntington Ingalls Industries full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The pay is highly competitive compared to many other places of employment throughout the Hampton Roads area. Immense room for growth and opportunity, and plenty of doors open to get into a management position. Tuition reimbursement is great, night school opportunities as well. Many positions require no experience in order to get your foot in the door, and will even provide training to make it happen.

Cons

Your experience is barely relevant or applicable outside of the shipyard gates. Many supervisors will run you into the ground. You age faster inside the shipyard, I’m 27 years old but after 6 years of working here, my joints and internal organs are definitely pushing 60. You don’t receive certifications for your skills and there are no career paths ever established for high-potential employees. If you want to make a... lateral transition in your career, from one trade to another, you can’t. You have to quit, lose all seniority, and then re-apply. There is no consideration for 2nd shift employees in almost any form. Oh, also parking is like trying to pour 50 gallons of water into a sippy-cup. Any parking lots that could have been made for employees are monetized for pay-to-park, and operated by private parties. But don’t ever be late or else it’s your own fault! I could go on, but I’ll refrain. It’s not a bad place to work depending on your supervisor/shift/trade. It’s like playing Russian roulette with your career! Good luck!

Advice to Management

Nobody’s going to read this anyways, I just want to see salaries for other positions. :)

Huntington Ingalls Industries2019-07-24
  1. "Great job once qualified"

Current Employee - Radiological Control Technician in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Huntington Ingalls Industries full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The money we make doing our job is limitless. You can work as much overtime as you want 7 days a week.

Cons

The RCTQS school is located in Portsmouth so commuting back and forth was a inconvenience for people who lived on the peninsula.

Huntington Ingalls Industries2019-08-19
  2. "Good Overall Experience"

Former Intern - Internship in Newport News, VA

I worked at Huntington Ingalls Industries for less than a year

Pros

- room to grow - plenty of one-on-one with supervisor

Cons

- can be a lot of down time

Huntington Ingalls Industries2019-09-05

Discover more reviews about Huntington Ingalls Industries.