Huntington National Bank - teller | Glassdoor

"teller"

Current Employee - Teller in Pittsburgh, PA
Current Employee - Teller in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Huntington National Bank part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great work/life balance for my family

Cons

commute is a long drive

Advice to Management

n/a

Other Employee Reviews for Huntington National Bank

1. "N/A"

Former Intern - Community Development in Columbus, OH
    Former Intern - Community Development in Columbus, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a great place to work.

Cons

Stigma of working for a bank

Advice to Management

It's a great place to work.

"Strangely Chaotic for a Conservative Financial Institution"

Current Employee - Vice President in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Vice President in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing CEO - I've worked directly with him, while he's demanding, he truly produces. He's changed the bank almost singlehandedly.

The senior IT players are changing constantly, so there are, at least, short term opportunities to do something new or stake out a claim to things you'd like to work on.

If you've previously worked at J.P. Morgan Chase, it's a definite plus as 6 of the top 7 positions in IT are from Chase and more ex-Chase employees arrive daily.

The compensation package is very good. Especially the PTO package. It's not unusual for HNB employees to have 28+ days off per year. You can also purchase an additional 5 days of PTO time

Cons

IT is in a state of constant Chaos. Since I've been there (October 2012 until April 2013 - date of this review):
    1. The CIO left on an extended (6 month) medical leave
    2. The interim CIO reorganized the IT department into a shared services model and started an "Agile transformation"
    3. Cubicles were taken down and open work spaces were created for large portions of IT
    4. The CIO resigned/retired/something - he isn't there anymore
    5. The interim CIO was let go
    6. The new COO/CIO (from Chase) arrived and reorganized the IT department out of a shared services model into three core groups (Consumer, Commercial, and Corporate)
    7. The new COO/CIO dislikes Agile, so everything is swinging back to a Waterfall approach
    8. The cubicles that were taken down and going back up - just much, much smaller so we can pack more people into Easton
    9. The Segment CIO's and Senior VP's have been shuffled around and/or fired

IT works (primarily) in Easton, and the parking situation is just silly - there are a couple hundred more people who need to park than parking spots. Advice: arrive early, don't leave for lunch

Work/Life balance is a huge issue at HNB - IT employees normally work 60+ hours per week. Late meetings, conference calls, and lots of uncompensated overtime are par for the course.

Advice to Management

HNB (at least) the IT department is driven by who is willing to be the loudest or meanest. It's a very bully friendly culture. Huntington needs to learn that just because you're the loudest, it doesn't mean you're right.

As I've said, the CEO is fantastic. I have, however, rated Senior Management below as one star because the rest of the senior staff I have worked with don't match up to the senior leader. Many of the senior leaders are in their positions because the lasted longer than others or were willing to be the biggest bully