Huron Consulting Group - Overrated | Glassdoor

"Overrated"

Former Employee - Management Consulting Manager in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Management Consulting Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Base pay is competitive and fair. Company funded parties are great (1990's WorldCom style)! A lot of motivated young people with solid academic accomplishment.

Cons

A very negative culture, and significant lack of integrity and leadership at the Managing Director level. I was shocked and appalled by the arrogance and crude behavior of some of the MD's. They manage the practice like a fraternity. Moreover, I was surprised by their overall lack of professional accomplishment and technical skill. There is little or no structure and transparency in the management of the consulting practices. There is no formula for bonuses (it's 100% discretionary) and a mostly undefined performance review process. The consulting assignments in the Higher Ed practice are insignificant and unfulfilling.

Advice to Management

Start recruiting a few senior level leaders from A.T. Kearney, Booz or BCG and build a more professional and competent core of Managing Directors and Directors. Allow for the development of a strong HR function with transparent processes that everyone relies on.

Other Employee Reviews for Huron Consulting Group

"A true meritocracy"

Current Employee - Associate Senior Systems Administrator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Senior Systems Administrator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am in the Legal Services division and in my experience, hard work and talent really are recognized. Sr management is in tune with both their employees and the market place and middle management does a great job of providing the tools I need to flourish. The varied and challengin projects make this as close to a dream position as I could get.

Cons

You will put in a lot of hours.

"Positive Experience - Pleasant Environment and Friendly People"

Current Employee - Consulting Analyst in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Consulting Analyst in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Huron is a fun place to work. It has a great environment and the people are wonderful to work with, very helpful and friendly. They support employees growth with many opportunity to advance ones knowledge.

Cons

to much concern with billable hours, not much freedom for working on project to improve overall business (unless its on your own time).