Huron Consulting Group - Alot of hype with no real substance / Smoke and Mirrors | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Huron Consulting Group

"Alot of hype with no real substance / Smoke and Mirrors"

Former Employee - HET Manager in Beaverton, OR
Former Employee - HET Manager in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are satisfactory. People in the trenches are excellent

Cons

Upper management such as managing directors are so far off the mark on what clients really want that they make poor decisions, relay the marching orders, then blame on site management when the client gets upset. There is no collaboration whatsoever between team members at the management level and no room for creativity and new ideas. There is a very high turnover that is covered up by HR, especially for those individuals who are not willing to give up their integrity and do whatever is asked of them even if is it against the Project Management Code of Ethics. I hate to say this but their upper management level is basically a Whites Only Club. In my 20 years of experience, I never had to deal with discrimination until I worked for Huron. I even tried to express my concerns with HR and my mentor, which led to my termination mainly becuase I refused to commit an unethical act.

Advice to Management

Complete a root cause analysis and really find out why there is such a high turnover of very experienced people in higher education.

Other Employee Reviews for Huron Consulting Group

"The Worst Job Experience Ever!!!!"

Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Their benefits package is satisfactory.

Cons

No guidance or professional support provided by management.

Advice to Management

Make management more accessible to employees. Make upper management accountable for their lack of skills instead of blaming everything that goes wrong on those in analyst positions!

"Overrated"

Former Employee - Management Consulting Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Management Consulting Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Base pay is competitive and fair. Company funded parties are great (1990's WorldCom style)! A lot of motivated young people with solid academic accomplishment.

Cons

A very negative culture, and significant lack of integrity and leadership at the Managing Director level. I was shocked and appalled by the arrogance and crude behavior of some of the MD's. They manage the practice like a fraternity. Moreover, I was surprised by their overall lack of professional accomplishment and technical skill. There is little or no structure and transparency in the management of the consulting practices. There is no formula for bonuses (it's 100% discretionary) and a mostly undefined performance review process. The consulting assignments in the Higher Ed practice are insignificant and unfulfilling.

Advice to Management

Start recruiting a few senior level leaders from A.T. Kearney, Booz or BCG and build a more professional and competent core of Managing Directors and Directors. Allow for the development of a strong HR function with transparent processes that everyone relies on.