Huron Consulting Group - Growing in the right ways. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Huron Consulting Group

"Growing in the right ways."

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Very collaborative people. Leadership focused on growth. Work/Life Balance is taken seriously.

Cons

Like anywhere else, there are a few people who I would rather not work with.

Other Employee Reviews for Huron Consulting Group

"A company full of the intellectually stunted with over inflated self worth."

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My experience with HCG involved dealing with superiors who had less aptitude and talent and felt threatened by those who could truly shine with clients.

Cons

Politically charged, generally 2nd or 3rd tier talent. I worked with very few consultants who really brought value to the client. Usually it was the re-treading of old PowerPoints with a Find/Replace old client name with new client name. You will not develop yourself much here. If you're smart, aggressive about your career and know how to communicate you would be much better off elsewhere.

"stay away if you're experienced"

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to go if this is your first job out of college
    Excellent travel perks

Cons

Huron claims that experienced hires are valuable, i would argue that Huron does little to allow experienced hires to show their value.

First off, Huron Consulting is a misnomer of a title, there is little to no actual consulting going on, on the Revenue Cycle side at least. At best, the employees are focused on implementing a semi customized tool. At worst, they are forcing a set of methodology onto clients that have no need for it, in the process damaging a working system. The primary issue lies in where Huron excels and that is the indoctrination of analysts.

The homegrown analysts only know one way to do things and have never been a part of other firms and therefore their ideas are stagnant. Huron refers to this stagnation as its "culture". Huron pushes to bring on experienced hires but then wonder why their retention rate is so low. It's because the average experienced hire, usually people with actual consulting backgrounds, understand that part of a good engagement is actually listening to the client and know how to customize an implementation to meet the clients needs and not just check off a box.

When I first started I thought the idea of a firm that only takes payment upon the achievement of milestones and metrics was genius, and in theory it is. In practice it's terrible. All that these types of contracts do is cause undue stress and pressure on engagement teams to meet goals that are usually impractical and are now their responsibility to find a way to meet. Which leads to the next con about Huron, the absolute lack of work life balance. As much as upper management claims they value work life balance, they do very little to nothing to give their employees the ability to enjoy their life outside of work.

Advice to Management

Either start listening to your experienced hires or stop hiring experienced hires. Huron's reputation within the consulting industry and specifically within the healthcare consulting industry is terrible, so attracting new experienced talent will be difficult. I ignored the advice of former employees before taking my position and now when asked if Huron is a good place to go as an experienced hire, I lay out the pro's and cons and let people make their own decisions. As you can see by my review above, the cons typically outweigh the pros.