Huron Consulting Group - Biggest mistake of my career - wasted time and effort for a company that doesn't care | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Huron Consulting Group

"Biggest mistake of my career - wasted time and effort for a company that doesn't care"

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent PTO benefits - if you're ever able to take any.

Cons

Apathetic and complacent culture on the corporate side (in one particular practice area, at least). Leadership is self-righteous and self-serving. The majority of them talk out of both sides of their mouths. Really a depressing work environment.

Advice to Management

My suggestion would be to clean house. I don't know if I encountered a single member of leadership that knew what they were doing, made any significant improvements, or even cared about what they did or who they managed. Start caring about your people! They are your most important assets! It says a lot about a company when a significant number of your operations staff leaves within a very short time frame. I find it amusing that one of their values is "integrity," but the only people that possess any integrity are the ones they are letting walk out the door.

Other Employee Reviews for Huron Consulting Group

1. "Lower than average base pay but fairly decent work/life balance for management consulting experience"

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time

Pros

work/life balance is pretty great if you can set up that expectation early on with your manager

Cons

projects sometimes get micromanaged and solution groups can be silo-ed

"Great people, highly standardized work, variability in management quality"

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The analyst and associate levels are full of bright, energetic, genuine people that can become lifelong friends

The analytical and project management training you receive is very robust

Cons

-Very little abstract thought required in the work
    -Professionals are discouraged from participating in business development activities
    -Little entreprenuership in the culture
    -Good old boy network within upper management with old Arthur Anderson and other Big 4 connections driving much of the hierarchy
    -The illusion of merit-based advancement is perpetuated by a byzantine performance evaluation process that is prioritized less and less in favor of subjective informal tribal evaluation as you advance
    -Some managers are invested in the development of their teams, but others see it as a chore
    -Emotional intelligence is not considered a core competency of management

Advice to Management

Encourage the junior professionals to participate in some sort of business development activity if you want them to feel engaged and invested in the organization, unless organic growth is not part of the long term plan and you prefer to churn through new hires after 2-3 years.