Huron Consulting Group - (Micro)Management , Culture is good. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Huron Consulting Group

"(Micro)Management , Culture is good."

Current Employee - Associate in Lake Oswego, OR
Current Employee - Associate in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work culture which varies across teams.

Cons

No autonomy for individual employees, everything comes top down. Cant survive without an ' YES BOSS ' mentality, micro management is a set norm( pee breaks and coffee breaks are carefully observed not wether work done or not). Compensation is based on weaknesses.

Advice to Management

Trust your Employees , plan better so everyone is set for sucess , not setting up agggressive goals and draining down employees physically and mentally

Other Employee Reviews for Huron Consulting Group

"The IT Department management is bad and they should feel bad."

Former Employee - Analyst\IT Support in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Analyst\IT Support in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They emphasize on training and give you options of what training you can take. Generous vacation/PTO days. Very friendly and super nice employees outside of IT.

Cons

The IT department is in disarray and divided.There is the network team and then everyone else.The network team is the worst group of people I've ever had the displeasure of working with. If you ask them question or go to them for help you get eye rolls and short, unhelpful answers.That group has a problem of keeping employees. Which I feel is a reflection of poor upper management.
    Another problem I had when I was working there is that management does not have your back. They will throw you under the bus so fast to make themselves look good to other management. Even the HR person for IT is a waste of office space.The times I went to HR with complaints they were ignored or I was brushed off.
    It was such a weight of my shoulders when I left Huron and found a place were IT management actually cares about you.

Advice to Management

Take care of your regular employees rather than protecting management since your employees are the ones who actually do the work. Start fresh with the network/infrastructure team, starting with the top guy. He is the weak link in the Huron chain.

"Good culture and work/life balance, Difficult to grow and advance"

Current Employee - Healthcare Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Healthcare Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Huron promotes a fair work/life balance and is respectful of vacation time. They also have excellent benefits (insurance, travel bonus, annual bonus, etc) and generous annual raises. Although you'll work late when you're traveling, they expect reasonable hours when you're off-site (I work on weekends occasionally, but it is always my choice to do so). The annual conference is in Las Vegas and is a grand experience. Analysts are encouraged to take on responsibility both with the client and internally, so there is always opportunity to get involved. They offer meaningful philanthropy and community involvement opportunities. They broadcast and genuinely support their values (integrity, passion, collaboration, pursuit of excellence, and accountability); employees are recognized constantly for exhibiting these values.

Cons

Career advancement is heavily dependent your coach and project assignments. Hard work often isn't rewarded; If you want to advance, it's most important to have support in high places and be on the right project at the right time. Furthermore, the work can become repetitive. Projects tend to be iterations of the same thing over and over again. It is difficult to switch into a different branch of the company (called solution groups) if you don't enjoy what you're doing. Huron's method is highly successful and effective, so you WILL become very good at the specific thing you do; however, if you're looking to work on a variety of healthcare-related issues, Huron may not be a good fit.

Advice to Management

Provide clear feedback and expectations to employees, consider your employee's career goals and be more supportive of employee growth, continue to promote the Huron values