Hy-Vee - Cashier | Glassdoor

"Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in Columbus, NE
Former Employee - Cashier in Columbus, NE

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with amazing afternoon crew I loved working with high schoolers and it was a joy to work with the customers not a stressfull job got to kid around lots of times

Cons

The assistant managers were dating each other and so you can always tell there were fights also assistant managers sometimes left early before 11 so you can be left there "alone". The pay wasn't the best

Advice to Management

Leave your personal life at the door. Stop actting like 14 year olds one minute and then expect the high schoolers to treat you like a proffesional in the next minute.

Other Employee Reviews for Hy-Vee

1. "Hy-Vee is a great place to work whether it's your first job or your career."

Current Employee - Salad Bar Manager in Blue Springs, MO
    Current Employee - Salad Bar Manager in Blue Springs, MO

I have been working at Hy-Vee full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

When I was young Hy-Vee always worked w/ my school schedule. As an adult I've had opportunities to move up in the company. Hy-Vee tries to give their employees at their store promotions before hiring someone outside of the company. So if you stay w/ Hy-Vee you have great chances for advancement.

Cons

One of the main downfalls at working at Hy-Vee may be that you work w/ so many types of people, young and old. This sometimes causes friction between coworkers and there is always a tendency for gossip.

Advice to Management

Being a manager, the hardest part was learning to separate myself from my employees. It's hard to switch from being a part-time worker to being a manager. You get used to the way you talk to people as a part-timer and forget that you can't be that same way when you become a manager.

"I was treated like a child and accused of being rude to customers when I was not."

Former Employee - Dishwasher in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Dishwasher in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

okay starting wage, work with usually happy customers, full time benefits package is pretty good.

Cons

coworkers usually hate their jobs and managers are overbearing. kitchen area is not clean and employees do just enough to get. much standing around gossiping

Advice to Management

make a larger effort to know what your employees are actually doing. I got in trouble even when I was doing my job and others would stand around doing only enough work to get by.