Hyland - A great company but it is becoming more bureaucratic | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hyland

"A great company but it is becoming more bureaucratic"

Current Employee - Manager in Westlake, OH
Current Employee - Manager in Westlake, OH

I have been working at Hyland full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great culture, youth oriented, many perks, tries to do the right thing, high integrity, growing market

Cons

Often is run like a family-run business. Hyland doesn't always empower people to make decisions or get things done. Development can easily override any good idea coming from marketing or sales.

Advice to Management

Provide more vision and articulate a product strategy.

Other Employee Reviews for Hyland

"Great company but experience varies depending on which department you are in"

Former Employee - Workflow in Westlake, OH
    Former Employee - Workflow in Westlake, OH

I worked at Hyland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Excellent benefits
    - Volunteer Time Off was a great way to give back
    - Large pipeline of clients meant that promotions happened often
    - Challenging work
    - Great company events like Christmas Party and Clam Bake, chance to get to know more of your coworkers
    - good salary

Cons

- I worked in a newer, offshoot department, where we just didn't have the same culture as some of the more established departments. There were many times that direction given was conflicting or not there at all.
    - For the first 6 months of my job, I literally sat and watched training videos
    - The culture was a bit "kool-aid-ey"
    - The job I had was a lot more technical than was disclosed. Quite a bit of HTML code, Javascript, JQuery, C#, etc. - not something I did in my previous line of work and not something I anticipated doing in this position.

Advice to Management

Department heads should take more of an initiative to get to know your line level staff. I know reviews have procedures, but there are ways to make them more personal and motivate your employees. Don't play favorites in front of your employees, it is very transparent what you are doing. Take on the role of lead and make others feel welcome to come to your desk for help anytime, not just those times when you're not stressed out. Do not allow team leads to take on project work, they should be focused on helping their team grow and providing guidance and mentorship.

"Software Developer Standpoint"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Westlake, OH
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Westlake, OH

I have been working at Hyland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Managers are extremely helpful in tailoring a position to what you are strong at and interested at. The company structure is organized very well and everyone above you in the company actually deserves to be there. The perks at hyland software are amazing, I cant tell you how nice it is to bring dry cereal to work, get FREE milk, FREE coffee, and a FREE bananna. Then when you get coffee breath you can grab yourself some free gum to refresh. Their is a workout center and after your done they have clean showers for employees. The company is ALWAYS growing and the chance for advancement is always there. Its simple really... Do your job get rewarded. Company motto, "Work hard, play harder".

Side Note: A new facility is being built and it will bring in more employees and an even nicer facility!

Cons

Do not provide free nerds, sweetTarts, smarties. I love my pure suger treats... All they have are free M&M's... #Darn. The pay is about the norm but it'd be nice if it were slightly higher. No complaints other than that though...

Advice to Management

Keep on Keepin on... However, I would like to have more corporate events this year, I was really sad that corporate challenge was canceled and even though I am a lower employee and their are lots of us, it would be nice to sit down with some of the higher ups to get an idea of what our future could one day be like. This would be a perk though because from what I've experienced and heard this never happens. Hyland has an open door policy and I could walk in and chat but I'd rather it be like a lunch with a C-level or vp or something like that...