Hyundai America Technical Center - HATCI will either drive you to drink or excel, will depend on which functional area you work in. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hyundai America Technical Center

"HATCI will either drive you to drink or excel, will depend on which functional area you work in."

Current Employee - Engineer II in Ann Arbor, MI
Current Employee - Engineer II in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Hyundai America Technical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are great and building is nice and new. We work on some very interesting cutting-edge stuff in some areas and have opportinuties to set our own goals and projects.

Cons

Culture is very hard to learn to work within and adapt to, especially if you are not the majority. Building is very segmented into groups which at times work against each other preventing the accomplishment of anything other than casting blame.

Advice to Management

Management needs to pick a direction and stick with it - R&D or production support. Listen to all the employees when making decisions that affect us all.

Other Employee Reviews for Hyundai America Technical Center

"Depressing and repressive environment."

Pros

The pay, benefits, job securities are great for the engineer and manager titled positions.

Cons

The organization lacks career growth opportunities, leadership and control, operational structure.

Advice to Management

Overhaul the organizational structure design, employee performance evaluation structure and process. Also, create the permanent U.S. Office Managing Partner position who oversees and authority over the entire operation of the center and managements, and staff this position with the bilingual person who knows American structures and living.

"Not bad, but not great"

Current Contractor - Engineer in Superior Township, MI
    Current Contractor - Engineer in Superior Township, MI

I have been working at Hyundai America Technical Center as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

-Friendly and Diverse Atmosphere
    -Work/Life Balance
    -Some Managers seem to really care about their contract employees
    -Very Knowledgeable Team Members that are open to help and answer questions
    -Travel Opportunities

Cons

-Poor Turnover Rate
    -No concrete processes and can become mundane
    -Contract employee probably won't get hired (may never get fired either)
    -Korean "Thank you for your opinion, but we won't/can't implement it unless we feel like it" response to everything
    -Mobis is the main supplier (owned by Hynudai) and they act on their own
    -Poor communication between Hyundai Korea, Hyundai America, Mobis Korea, Mobis America, etc.
    -Too much inconsistency for electrical systems, and no design is done in the US.
    If you're looking for a true engineering experience for EE/EET/Comp.E/SoftwareE to implement what you've studied... I wouldn't suggest this as the best place to start. HATCI is strictly a validation center, unless you're higher up there's no real opportunity for electrical or software design.

Advice to Management

I won't necessarily speak negatively about the US Mgt., but Korean Coordinators should learn to communicate information to decrease possible confusion and lead to very unhappy or frustrated employees. I believe the American Mgt. could be great should they receive information on time and in ENGLISH. Time is wasted on issues that are either never addressed or already addressed, but no one knows until time and energy has been wasted driving in the wrong direction. Communication is the greatest issue. While it's understood that Hyundai/Kia is a Korean company and we should respect this, please remember that American input is valuable when selling in an American Market. Stop wasting time and money on redundancy that is ineffective.