IA Collaborative - Inspiring & Empowering | Glassdoor

"Inspiring & Empowering"

I have been working at IA Collaborative full-time

Pros

I've really appreciated my time at IA. I feel that IA is on the cutting edge of how people work. Some specific pros include:
- Passion-driven work. The people at IA are very passionate about their trade and that comes through everyday.
- Big time clients. Everybody is always surprised by IA's client list. They're all large and important companies. That makes it more exciting to work on projects.
- Independence. IA let's employees run with projects and is much more open to new ideas or ways of working than other firms I've been at. The principals care about the results of the work, but they also let people be self-guided in figuring it out.
- Cool design work. the designers at IA are always progressive and creative.
- Strategic. IA is not a place that's just designing for design sake. the company puts high value on being strategic and user research
- Client exposure. Team members often have chance to "be at the table" for meetings.
- Cutting edge. Leadership seeks out projects that focus on new thinking and innovation
- For what it's worth, I've found the compensation is quite competitive. They offer profit sharing and major health insurance.

Cons

- High level of autonomy requires that employees "step up" their game - so you have to come with that mindset. It's a fast paced, progressive company where even junior employees are expected to work at a high level. You get exposure to clients and principals very quickly. I think you have to be mentally prepared for that.
- Some projects require U.S. or international travel. While not frequently, if you're not into travel, it might not be the ideal spot for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to Get Top Talent: I've never worked somewhere that had such high-level design thinkers and strategists. One day you're working with an Ivy-league MBA, the next a designer from RISD. IA should continue to focus on top talent due to the high-profile work that's done there.

Other Employee Reviews for IA Collaborative

"IA Collaborative provides the future focused clients with various perspective of their users and good direction."

Current Employee - Designer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Designer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IA Collaborative full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to learn about many beneficial points in collaboration from different design professionals.
    Discovering and understanding customers' various perspectives.

Cons

Short amount of time for design not only periodically causes a rush work but also partly prevent quality design outcomes.

Advice to Management

IA should invest time and energy on creating/serving a future IA potential business instead of solely fulfilling current clients' demands.

"The Years of Growth & Development"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IA Collaborative full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ fairly flat structure
    + entrepreneurial environment
    + direct access to management
    + fosters a passion/play environment
    + project work is inspiring
    + company portfolio is filled with very large brands
    + multidisciplinary collaboration
    + ownership and autonomy in roles

Cons

- extremely fast paced, may not be ideal for everyone

Advice to Management

Hire the right people and continue to provide each employee with an enriched experience