IBM - I had many opportunities for personal advancement over my 33 years, which enabled me to grow my skills and be a SME. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"I had many opportunities for personal advancement over my 33 years, which enabled me to grow my skills and be a SME."

Former Employee - Channel Marketing Manager in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Channel Marketing Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

Best people, good tools and processes, great salary.

Cons

Supporting silo'd organizations cause lack of ability to prioritize workload.

Advice to Management

Sr. exec's should spend time with people actually doing the jobs to realize the pressure they've instilled making life challenging!

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

"Once a shining piller of technology now going to seed"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hawthorne, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hawthorne, NY

Pros

When times are good you can end up working on some of the most exciting and innovative stuff. There are some really brilliant people at Watson research today.

Cons

Research is now much more focused on funding than on innovation, with the result being that more and more focus is put on coming up with ways to make the current product portfolio stronger. This is difficult, especially when you consider that the typical Research Staff Member is a Ph. D. with little practical knowledge of how the products are used, and with little to no access to customer feedback. This results in projects that are irrelevant to the product line or are redundant to work being done already by the product staff. If you are not working on a project like this but something disruptive you often have to sell it to the people who are being disrupted (called "finding a catcher"); oftentimes these people are so vested in the current product that they may spend their efforts killing your work rather than embracing it.

Advice to Management

Get back to your roots. Find ways to encourage speculative research. The importance of research is to come up with the next game changers, not to improve the current product line. It's not IBM Advanced Technology, it's IBM Research!

2. "Great people to work with!"

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Benefits, Atmosphere, Smart people, Wonderful connections

Cons

Middle Management, and sometimes Senior mamnagement can be hard headed and slow to change.

Advice to Management

Do better!