IBM - Would never work there again | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Would never work there again"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Arlington, VA
Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Arlington, VA

Pros

Decent compensation. But watch-out for those who become employees in an acquisition! They do not grand-father tenure from previous company in compensation calculations when they lay you off. Also, they are committed to drawing down their US staff as much as possible.

Cons

Our small customer-focused software company was acquired by IBM SWG in 2009. They laid-off 25% of us within first year. They would not allow us to go to training for other software tools. Their bureaucracy and "blue washing" is ridiculously cumbersome. They were only interested in Sales numbers and only gave lip service to customers.

Advice to Management

Mgmt is secretive and unresponsive. When their Exec. VP Robert Mofatt was indicted for insider trading, no one said anything. I asked mgmt once and they pretended it never happened. Their only interest was their careers and not their employees.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

"Overworked, undersupported and underpaid. GBS partners create a political minefield and arbitrary constraints."

Former Employee - Associate Partner - GBS in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Partner - GBS in New York, NY

Pros

have access to huge amount of resources

Cons

navigating the myriad of resources

"You have to play the IBM game if yo uare to get anywhere here."

Current Employee - Software IT Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software IT Architect in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Depending on the role you are in, you have flexibility of hours and customer engagements where you can grow your skills and influence.

Cons

You have to play the IBM game if yo uare to get anywhere here. That means not only being good at what you do, but being that political animal and playing to the management galleries and all the metrics that you are measured by. You may have all the opportunities to excel at those metrics in the rols you are in, yet you will be measured by it! This I think is the bane aof a lot of big companies. They acquire companies by the dozen every year and depersonalize the new employees and pretty much break & rebuild those. Sometimes it works out well and not tother times.

Advice to Management

We acquire many companies in a year, even in areas that we have products and people already in the market. I think tihs reflects badly on our capacity to build great products - be it dur to lack of investment or simply incompetence - that we have to go out and spend money to get state of the art capabiity in the market segment. Lets put some effort into improving our product development capabilities.