IBM - It all depends on the team. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"It all depends on the team."

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Research Triangle Park, NC
Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Research Triangle Park, NC

Pros

Flexible work/life balance, easy to work remotely.
Pay is satisfactory.
Company policies can be short sighted and frustrating.

Cons

Difficult to get promoted. Especially if you're not a typical role like a developer.
Employee evaluations are subjective, it all depends on your management.
Each team works differently. Overall the IBM culture is friendly and fair, but if you join a recent aquisition, for example, you may not be treated "fairly" by the non-IBM environment.
Work environment has become depressing over the years, with most people working from home. Not a lively place to work anymore.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the evaluation system. It's ridiculous that you can't have a rock star team, and someone has to be at the bottom with risk of being fired - all based on one manager's opinion? Focus more on employee motivation - keep quality talent.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "Good."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

Pros

+ The prestige is so much you can't even imagine

Cons

+ The overhead is unbelievable, every day some new form to complete.

Advice to Management

Focus on profits, but don't forget your people.

"The Rochester COE is a Black Hole."

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

Pros

1. Benefits - pretty decent, health and dental insurance you can get for free if you sign up for the basic plan. 401k match is up to 6% after you've been there 1 year.

2. Flexibility - Depending on how lenient your manager is (mine was) you can work from home if you're sick or out of town without taking any PTO.

3. Co-workers - Basically all of the FA's are 20-somethings, so you'll be able to work alongside some good people. Then you can all go to lunch and talk about how stupid your job is. True story. Happened a lot.

4. Good resume builder

5. Ping-pong.

Cons

1. Compensation - Starting salary is 40k with a sign-on bonus of $1,500.. Not bad for a recent college grad just starting out, I'll admit. But don't expect to see a raise any time soon. Or a bonus. You'll likely see that same paycheck twice a month for years to come.

2. On-the-Job Training - This was how I figured out IBM was a joke within the first couple weeks. My previous manager told me on the first day, "you'll think we've never trained somebody in before." He was right. Although they offer training classes, these are basically a formality for all new hires. These sad excuses for classes won't actually help you do your job. The person I shared an office with basically taught me everything.

3. Job Satisfaction - I worked some not-so-fun jobs through college. I sold shoes, did janitorial work, cleaned horse stalls. Even at $8-10 an hour, these jobs were still more enjoyable than being a Financial Analyst at IBM.

4. Cost-Cutting - This is my biggest problem with IBM as a company. IBM actually just laid off about 1,200 employees from their US workforce in the week I wrote this review. Some from the Rochester plant were included in this. If you're thinking about starting a career at IBM by taking a financial analyst job, consider this: From 2007 to 2011, the US IBM workforce has shrunk from 135,000 down to 98,000 employees. They have been shipping these jobs overseas and will continue to do so because the labor is simply cheaper over there. IBM could care less about their employees. It's all about making the shareholders money, even if it means canning people that have been with the company for almost 30 years.

5. Work-Loads - Although some of the work is being shipped overseas, a lot of this work is just being piled on to current employees' workloads. Now I understand that the longer you stay with a company the more work you'll have to do, that's a given. But along with that usually comes a pay increase. As a Financial Analyst I guarantee you will be given more, and more, and more mind-numbing work to do. And to thank you for your efforts, IBM will let you use their bathrooms. Sweet deal, right?

This job does provide good finance experience for a recent college grad, but that's about it.. This isn't the place to build a career. In my opinion, the entire COE will be shipped overseas in the next 5-10 years.

Advice to Management

The cheapest workers are rarely the best workers.

I'm sure Sammy P and Ginny will take these words to heart.. Ha.