IBM - A great place to start a career. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"A great place to start a career."

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Burlington, VT
Current Employee - Test Engineer in Burlington, VT

Pros

I like the flextime scheduling. I can come into work at any time of the day usually as long as I get my 40+ hours in the week. I also love the location. Vermont is a beautiful state with great schools and many outdoor activities.

Cons

They just cut the funding for continuing education (their ALAP program). So there is no opportunity to go back to school part time.

Advice to Management

Bring back ALAP to invest in the employees and the future of the compay.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

"Disillusioned"

Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Washington, DC

Pros

The pay and benefits are not horrible. Not outstanding or great but passable. I certainly imagine elsewhere it could easily be worse but it wouldn't be much of a stretch to be better either.

Cons

There are many things about being in services that don't work in favor of the employee. For example, even if you are a salaried-exempt employee, you work under a billable hours model with a utilization target. Now perhaps I don't understand the meaning of being a salaried-exempt professional but I thought it meant that you are paid to get the job done regardless of the number of hours it takes. If it takes 80 hours you do it. If it takes 30 hours you do it. The model of compensation does not line up with the business model under which IGS gets paid. Even salaried exempt employees are told they must bill a bare minimum of 44 hours per week but our utilization target percentage numbers are based off of a 40 hour work-week with 2080 total available billable hours per year (52 wks/yr * 40 hrs/wk). How this is not fishy accounting I don't understand but I'm not an accountant. In the mean time, this mandatory "assumed 10% overtime" as they call it, effectively nullifies out any actual vacation to which you might be entitled as per your employment terms. All this with a base pay that is essentially losing the race with inflation and cost of living and a bonus pool that never quite seems to be as full as it could have been "if only." They lure you with promises of potential performance bonuses of 10%-15% of your base salary but in reality, every single year there has always been some reason why even the best performers never receive more than 2%-4% if anything at all. There's always a reason why there is not enough money even when times were way better than they are now. It is quite plainly evident that as an employee you get your slice of the pie last with shareholders extracting their pound of flesh first and leaving us to fend for whatever scraps are left over. I will have been working for IBM for 9 years coming up this May and while I was happy at first, after the first few years I realized my pay and benefits had pretty much plateaued early and since then, I have just been slowly getting poorer by staying. On absolute terms the pay is not horrible but at this early stage in my working career my earning power should still be significantly increasing, not decreasing. So, if something does not change significantly for the better this year (not very likely as the economy around the world is in total shambles) I may decide it is time to pick up and move on. IBM is turning out to be nothing like what I dreamed it would be when I was fresh out of school and eager to take on the world. These past 9 years at IBM have sapped the enthusiasm and motivation out of me as more and more is asked of me for less and less in return. I think if I did not live and work in the D.C. metro area my job would probably have been sent to India long ago anyway. The writing is on the wall and I don't want to be where I'm not wanted.

Advice to Management

Nothing, why waste my breath?

"Oops... we have no grunts left to do the work - we fired them all!"

Current Employee - Soon to Be Ex. . in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Soon to Be Ex. . in New York, NY

Pros

The people, the people, the people.

Cons

The hours, the short term view and short sightedness of senior management. The need to run the business to please Wall Street (and boost the stock price) despite the fact that Wall Street has not proven itself of late to be a bastion of insight.

Advice to Management

Pretty soon you will look around and find that there are many chiefs (you) and few or no indians (employees) left to do the real work and heavy lifting.