IBM - IBM GBS Baton Rouge is a very sad place to be... | Glassdoor

"IBM GBS Baton Rouge is a very sad place to be..."

Current Employee - Java Applications Developer in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Training and only if you like video lectures.

Cons

- HR will tell you whatever you want to hear just to sign you in. - Pay range is a way below industry average for new and experienced hires. So if you have some skills go elsewhere. - Benefits are weak, just like the salary. - If you are a tech person or if you have coding skills this place is not for you. Majority of resources have Liberal Arts Degree and have nothing to do with tech. They are the reason why... center is capable of keeping compensation to its employees so low. I have an App Developer in my team who has no dev skills and has a History Major and you will be expected to help him to do his job. Expect your work-life balance to struggle. - Favorite topic of 80% of people in the center is :"I can't wait to get out." which is sad, because it is IBM. - People don't stay too long, especially if it is a skilled individual. - You will be running around the center in search of the project. And yes, you have to find your own projects and this is not easy. It is like you have a job and your job is to find a job. Not easy because of the damaged reputation of the center among other IBM practices. -Traveling is expected to be 50% , in reality you will travel 100% and it is exhausting. - Ethics of the upper management is a very questionable subject. - Managers are not aware who they hired and what skills their people have, which is sad.

Advice to Management

You need a fresh blood with new vision to bring this place up. Otherwise it is just a matter of time before this center hits the ground, and it is on its way there. How long can a business survive on a "cheap resources for a premium price" model?

IBM2017-09-03
  1. "Good"

Former Contractor - Process Engineer in Fishkill, NY

I worked at IBM for more than a year

Pros

Lots of development for future technologies

Cons

High pass job that can be stressful

IBM2019-06-27
  2. "Good time spent at IBM"

Former Employee - Senior Service Delivery Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

In my opinion, People, products and processes

Cons

In my opinin, Lack of employee recognition.

IBM2019-09-22

Discover more reviews about IBM.