IBM - I think this is a great company to work for. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"I think this is a great company to work for."

Current Employee - SAN Administrator in Boulder, CO
Current Employee - SAN Administrator in Boulder, CO

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've had success with pay as a contractor, the experience is really good and the company name on your resume is great.

Cons

Work/life balance is certainly swayed toward work. IBM's "lean" service model leaves much to be desired, we constantly run undermanned and the customers would be much happier with dedicated people as compared to a team of people who can work on any customer account.

Advice to Management

The company as a whole would do well to make an effort to keep its good employees.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "IT Specialist"

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Albany, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you get into the right group, you can get good exposure.

Cons

Too bog for its own good, Its all about the numbers game and work ethics get lost because of that.

Advice to Management

Be open to your employees and be accountable for your actions.

"Services unit (GBS) is just a body shop"

Current Employee - IT Architect in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - IT Architect in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Brand recognition is good. State of the art technology company. Broad range of technologies and opportunities to use them. High business ethics.

Cons

Little respect for employees. Written direction that if you take your vacation, you should work extra to make up for it. Documented minimum acceptable work week is 45 hours. Education opportunities are rare, and usually only offered after hours or weekends. Business is managed on an individual utilization model that motivates employees to charge more hours, not to do a better more efficient job for our services customers. Employee year end evaluations are first measured on who has billed the most hours.

Little opportunity for internal innovation. IBM just buys innovation in the form of acquisitions.

Way too much bureaucracy. Every business opportunity has 6-10 people in charge, client executives, delivery executives, business development executives, practice area executives, sector executives, geography executives, and the list goes on.

Advice to Management

Manage the business, not individual utilization. Get rid of all the executive overhead.