IBM - Stop offshoring US jobs. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Stop offshoring US jobs."

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Mechanicsburg, PA
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Mechanicsburg, PA

Pros

Flexible work schedule which is supported by immediate management. The pay is good; however, you earn it.

Cons

Limited opportunities for professional advancement. Offshoring of US jobs which creates continuous anxiety and makes one wonder "will my job be offshored next." Matrix managment structure which makes for a stressful/ very ambiguous work environment. The company embraces a virtual team environment, so you can work in one city but work with individuals in different cities. This can create a more challenging work environment since you cannot simply walk over to a co-worker's desk to discuss a work item. Management can also be located in another city. Bottom line - there can be a dearth of face time which can hurt you during your annual review. Also, there is a tremendous focus on getting more bang for the buck. In other words, reduce the number of employees, maintain the same workload, and take on additional workload.

Advice to Management

Revisityand embrace the principles fostered by Thomas Watson which once made this a great company.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "Used to be great, I think I'm glad to be gone."

Former Employee - IT Architect in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - IT Architect in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Opportunities to take on a wide variety of assignments. Access to a tremendous amount of knowledge via internal forums, wiki, blogs etc. I was able to work in marketing, sales, development, research, and services in my time there.

Cons

Extreme focus on utilization causes pressure to make up for earned vacation etc. Was asked to defer vacation to make up for others on the bench.

Advice to Management

Come clean about the strategy behind the layoffs. It may not change things but I think it would go a long way towards reducing the anxiety hostility and fear that are out there.

"If IBM buys your company, get out. You have about a year before life is unbearable."

Former Employee - Advisory Information Developer in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Advisory Information Developer in Lexington, MA

Pros

The only reason to work for IBM are the money and benefits. And if you are just beginning a career, IBM might be OK for a couple of years just to make the transition from the life lived at college and the life of full-time employment with no summer off. IBM is not a long-term proposition for anyone except the most senior management.

Cons

IBM bought the company I worked for, so my last 5 years there allowed me to observe the many ways in which IBM demoralizes talented people and drives them away.

IBM talks a great deal about being accountable, and it devises (and then revises) systems for setting goals for projects and for professional development and for reporting progress toward them. It is fair to say that you spend about 50% of your time collecting the data for and providing it to these systems. Thus, it is not possible to achieve the goals because you are spending most of your time measuring, but not making, progress.

What matters most is to appear to make progress and appear to take responsibility. Over time, your colleagues become disembodied voices in faraway lands, and you spend a great deal of time in conference calls with them. What you quickly learn is that you can declare progress has been made, and no one is likely to know or care whether it was. I inherited, from IBMers who understood how the game is played, projects that recent college graduates would have done a better job of. I was appalled by the "work" of senior people. Thus, IBM is not a place to learn any skill other than that of self promotion.

The cumulative impact is devastating. You don't see as much of the colleagues who are still around because you are always on the phone or trying (in vain) to get something done. The isolation gets to you. You become surprised that someone you worked with for years has a) left without saying anything or b) is still around because you haven't seen them in months. Most people work at home as much as possible.

Before IBM came into your life, you knew what a good job was and you knew how to do it. If you stay too long, you begin to doubt that you know anything and are worth anything to another company and even to yourself. Toward the end of my tenure, more than one person expressed thoughts of suicide. The only folks who seemed to understand the true nature of what was happening were raised in eastern Europe and the Soviet Union.

I left IBM. I was not laid off. I did not have another job lined up. Things are very tough right now, but I have never regretted leaving. It was a radical act of self respect. My confidence has returned.

Advice to Management

Stop lying. The false cheer in the messages from Sam or whoever is running the division is insulting to the intelligence of your employees, who you claim to value. Honesty about your true intentions, namely, to rid yourself of most of your US workforce (especially anyone over 50) would not make anyone happy but would at least earn their respect.

IBM's true investment is not in innovative technology, superior customer service, or professional growth of employees. It is in the insidious mechanisms that disseminate and reinforce a culture in which the price of success is one's humanity.