IBM - Used to be great, I think I'm glad to be gone. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Used to be great, I think I'm glad to be gone."

Former Employee - IT Architect in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - IT Architect in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Opportunities to take on a wide variety of assignments. Access to a tremendous amount of knowledge via internal forums, wiki, blogs etc. I was able to work in marketing, sales, development, research, and services in my time there.

Cons

Extreme focus on utilization causes pressure to make up for earned vacation etc. Was asked to defer vacation to make up for others on the bench.

Advice to Management

Come clean about the strategy behind the layoffs. It may not change things but I think it would go a long way towards reducing the anxiety hostility and fear that are out there.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

"Work for a company where your contribution is appreciated and rewarded. It's certainly will not be at IBM."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

TO say you worked for "IBM"

Cons

Management didn't care. Open door policies tagged you as a bad employee. There is no ability to move to another division within the company. The only way to work for IBM these days is if they buy the company you currently work for. Then they weed out almost everyone from the original company and lay off existing staff and move the jobs to Argentina (the new india).

Advice to Management

Instead of all the layoffs, find places for employees to stay within the company. I realize "everyone is replaceable, and everyone wants to work for IBM". But you guys are loyal to the company - and you wouldn't get your bonuses if it weren't for the pions doing all the work. It's also way to common for most people to not get raises and bonus pools are always next to nothing. Unless your manager deems you to be a superstar - you're screwed with this company.

"A once great company that treats its employees with very little respect and appreciation"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Armonk, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Armonk, NY

Pros

The best part of working for IBM is some employees have the option to work at home.

Cons

There is absolutely no respect for the individual. Sr. management could not care less about the employees. They are on a mission to move work offshore to India and China, and get rid of as many U.S. employees as they can. They are even forcing the U.S. employees to train their replacements. Then, employees with 20+ years and excellent reviews are thrown out like yesterday's trash. These are not low level employees -- we are talking about senior professionals in IT, finance, etc., who are highly educated and high performing employees.

Advice to Management

Understand that we are all in this together. You might save some dollars in the short term but you are selling your country short. You may think as long as your own pocket is lined that your actions towards your employees and fellow countrymen don't matter, but when there is massive unemployment and people have nothing to lose, violence and social unrest become everyone's problem.