IBM - Do not work there more then a few years, any longer will hurt your career. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Do not work there more then a few years, any longer will hurt your career."

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
Former Employee - IT Analyst in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

work at home option, though that could be seen as a negative as could be working all hours of day and weekends

Cons

The pay was below market value, and either no raise, or 1 percent, well below inflation and cost of living. Bonus program not meaningful as well, so no incentive to exceed, as no reward in the end.

Moral is terrible, the people are good, just don't care as the life has been taken out of them. Company does not seem willing to try to increase it either, even the smallest things might help, but management would never get it approved if they wanted.

To difficult to focus on work, as company throws to many road blocks at employees, smallest change requires a lot of paperwork and process to get through.

To many new processes coming in, which are not properly implemented and poor tools. Process owners do not even understand the processes they are implementing.

Would not recommend to a person who wants a long term career with IBM, a few years is more then enough. Get some experience working on some projects or enterprise software and systems, and then move on. Anymore and you will be doing your career a disservice as no way to advance or even make enough to support your family over the long run.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees, I went to a new place, that cares, and makes the world of difference. Work way harder then I have in the last 5 or 6 years at IBM and I love it. Small things make the difference. Also reexamine your Pay, as it is woefully low for technical people, and when the economy turns around, IBM might no longer be able to attract local people, as they struggle right now. Can't do everything from India.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "one of the most peaceful work place"

Current Employee - Lead in Bengaluru (India)
    Current Employee - Lead in Bengaluru (India)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

i always would like to work with IBM as i get more satisfaction and peace at my workplace
    no any deviation within the orgnanization

Cons

we all knew that each coin has two different sides as such as IBM has some

Advice to Management

have to improve management parts like HR department, theirs work method

2. "Flexible, team work oriented"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible working hours and better work life balance compared to the industry

Cons

Poor and uninspired intern training sessions