IBM - A well managed high tech giant | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"A well managed high tech giant"

Former Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You get to work with some of the most talented people in the world. Highly diverse workforce. Great benefits. Unique and very professional culture.

Cons

High stress at times. Many times cuts are made in personnel with remaining personnel expected to pick up the workload. Work/Life balance is stressed, but difficult or impossible to achieve.

Advice to Management

Invest more in training. Even though IBM is a top tier company, it needs to become the far and above the top tier company it once was.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

"Fine if you survive the offshoring; if you are a US employee, don't expect to"

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Boulder, CO

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Best for new hires fresh out of college these days; or workers in cheap foreign countries

Cons

No loyalty to anything but their stock price through at least 2015
    10+ years of dedication as a top performer netted little if any raises in last 7 years
    Prepare for more cutbacks and offshoring
    Friends who were 2 years short of retirement laid off and denied pension
    Survivors left wondering when the axe will hit them

Advice to Management

Top execs, your shameful treatment of loyal employees, offshoring their jobs to anywhere cheaper, all in the name of propping up the stock price is going to bite you. Customer satisfaction is plummeting as foreign workers quickly jump ship to the next best paying thing.

2. "I was forced to work 6 and 7 days a week for almost a year"

Former Contractor - Test Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Contractor - Test Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at IBM as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Part of a global team. Lot's of knowledge available.

Cons

I worked on the release of a project that was behind schedule and hundreds of people that I worked with were forced to work 6 and 7 days a week in order to stay employees. We did this for a year until the project was released. Additionally, while being forced to work this many hours, many of our coworkers were laid off right before the release of the 2011 earnings. Surely, this was done for number crunching with stockholders. The burden fell on us to make up for the hundreds of lost employees in the upcoming year. Very disappointed with IBM and I never felt that my job was secure in any way at this company.

Advice to Management

Encourage freedom and enjoyment the job. Lighten up the atmosphere and make the place more flavorful. Everything is "boxy."