IBM - Great Company....when ur 40+ | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Great Company....when ur 40+"

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Health insurance benefits. When I was there I was fully covered under a PPO plan without paying a dime from my pocket.

Cons

Low Salary
Really only doing IBM related product work. As a technical guy I did not like the fact that we were always looking to use IBM products/solutions for customers instead of what is best product/solution for the customers needs. Did not like the 44 hour minimum work week.

Advice to Management

Don't be all about selling IBM software and hardware. Do REAL consulting

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

"If you are motivated and have an ability to quickly acquire new skills, you will succeed - if you can survive the travel"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had the opportunity to work on international projects, traveling to multiple locations around the world. My level of responsibility grew as I proved my ability to successfully deliver results. I gained experience managing teams and being responsible for project profitability. Co-workers generally intelligent and friendly.

Cons

Travel is constant for GBS, so it can be difficult, especially with a family. Sometimes you have to take projects that are not ideal/interesting because of the need for very high utilization (time billable to client).

Advice to Management

Make it easier to take projects in different sectors - could improve overall utilization and help bring new ideas.

"No longer world class"

Current Employee - Development Engineer in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Development Engineer in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM employees still have good reputation, even though management does not.

Cons

Executives have totally rejected the values and principles of the Watsons. People are not valued, and short term profit is pursued by cutting quality, service, and skilled employees. Effectively no raises for most US employees for the last decade except for executives. Bloated bureaucracy with 5-6 layers of vice presidents (out of 8-9 layers of management) between the average professoinal and the CEO. Just when it seems morale can't get any lower, executives find a way to knock it down more. Withholding 401k match is the latest scheme.

Advice to Management

Read "A Business and Its Beliefs" by Thomas Watson.