IBM - Great Company....when ur 40+ | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Great Company....when ur 40+"

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Health insurance benefits. When I was there I was fully covered under a PPO plan without paying a dime from my pocket.

Cons

Low Salary
Really only doing IBM related product work. As a technical guy I did not like the fact that we were always looking to use IBM products/solutions for customers instead of what is best product/solution for the customers needs. Did not like the 44 hour minimum work week.

Advice to Management

Don't be all about selling IBM software and hardware. Do REAL consulting

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

"Stayed too long. Much better work elsewhere."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM's salary and benefits relatively speaking are better than average despite the annual increases in employee contributions. IBM has well defined processes in the various parts of the business which enables employees young in their career to learn good skills. To those individuals new to IBM, stay long enough to obtain the experience the job offers, then move on as IBM isn't good for you long term.

Cons

IBM has lost its shine. I am certain that Thomas Watson continues to turn in his grave as to what has happened to his company. IBM has long moved away from gaining new ideas and starting businesses from scratch to one of acquisitions. As products move through their life cycle, the work is outsourced to places like India where IBM can reduce its labor cost. The net affect is that the employees are discarded as the products they have built and supported are no longer generating the revenue they once were. New opportunities exist only in locations where companies that were acquired are located. Unless you have experience with the products from the companies acquired and are willing to relocate, your future at IBM is limited. IBM is a pro at reducing its labor through layoffs while minimizing the publicity of downsizing and outsourcing. Once you see the death spiral begin at your site (especially sites that have been around a long time), be proactive and find a new opportunity elsewhere. It may seem daunting at first, especially the longer you have stayed at IBM, but in the long run you will be better off (and much happier too).

Advice to Management

I have been at IBM long enough to have numerous middle managers. None of them do a decent job with people management and their technical skills degrade to a point where they are close to useless. Upper management should take a hard look at their middle managers and their contributions. On numerous occasions my employees rightly escalated their annual performance appraisals due to middle managers playing favorites. Nothing I could say/demonstrate would change the middle manager's view (despite the middle manager having little interaction with these individuals). It took an outside (of the organization) review to fix the situation. The middle manager remains at IBM while the majority of the 60+ person organization was laid off across 2 RIFs. This middle manager and his executive who also is still at IBM were unsuccessful in building/maintaining/re-missioning the team.

"If you are motivated and have an ability to quickly acquire new skills, you will succeed - if you can survive the travel"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had the opportunity to work on international projects, traveling to multiple locations around the world. My level of responsibility grew as I proved my ability to successfully deliver results. I gained experience managing teams and being responsible for project profitability. Co-workers generally intelligent and friendly.

Cons

Travel is constant for GBS, so it can be difficult, especially with a family. Sometimes you have to take projects that are not ideal/interesting because of the need for very high utilization (time billable to client).

Advice to Management

Make it easier to take projects in different sectors - could improve overall utilization and help bring new ideas.