IBM - Software Engineer Inter | Glassdoor

"Software Engineer Inter"

Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Austin, TX
Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Tech giant with massive resources and really talented people. You work on products that are touched by millions in mission critical areas. For such a big company, it feels very nimble. You can easily reach any employee worldwide through Sametime. It feels like a tight-knit environment, even thought you are 1 or hundreds of thousands. Every manager I have dealt with is awesome. Uber professionalism throughout.

Cons

It is a big company. It takes weeks to do some things that would be done in hours in a startup. I wish product development was more streamlined. That similar products were merged or shut down. And that products would not be saddled with every single possible feature.

Advice to Management

Every single manager I have dealt with is awesome. So keep picking good people.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "Love my job, wish I had more stability"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Boulder, CO

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work at home, flexible schedule

Cons

Offshoring jobs makes me very uneasy

Advice to Management

Keep jobs in US!

"IBM is great if you are a shareholder but not so great if you're an employee"

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Access to extremely smart industry leaders within the company, good focus on customer satisfaction and creating solid products and services. Reasonable nenefits.

Cons

I was with the company for 10 years and saw the culture erode signficantly from high employee morale to low. The job I took after leaving IBM was a 50% improvement in compensation and this isn't uncommon. The issue is that they've cut so much cost out of the business trying to march to their Earnings per Share roadmap that it has had a far reaching effect on the allowable operating expenditure of the various business units. This translates into promotions being few and far between, measly compensation and raises and extenuating circumstances required to attend education or conferences that involve travel. The culture is also quite hierarchical vs. collegial and egalitarian.

Advice to Management

Ask yourself, why would smart people want to work at IBM? Factor in compensation, benefits and how exciting the work is. Then factor in that good engineers and product managers are in worldwide demand. I mean it, we can literally go anywhere. Then ask yourself whether you're keeping the good engineers or just the ones that don't have the sense to leave.