IBM - In an imperfect world, IBM has enough diversity to find a good fit for almost anybody. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"In an imperfect world, IBM has enough diversity to find a good fit for almost anybody."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Huge sets of technology to play with daily.
Experts in almost any field you can imagine are available to work with and be inspired by.
At the ground level there's amazing flexibility allowed in how you get the job done.
While IBM has a reputation for training leaders, it's more that IBM is a great testing ground for potential leaders. There are opportunities and there is competition to sharpen skills all around, you just can't wait for it to be called a "leadership" training (although some of those are good too).

Cons

You have to be patient sometimes to get the opportunity to work on what's inspiring and do less fun job assignments until it happens.
The review process is somewhat silly and does not encourage employees to give their best, rather it makes you learn politics (valuable in itself) so that you can work the system.
Too many people think they are too small to make a difference at IBM when the reality is that for IBM to work everybody has to know and recognize that they can change the system.

Advice to Management

Become the social business we say we are. We're "more" social than we have been. We empower more change than we have in the past, but there's orders of magnitude of change left before we are more truly a social business.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

"Good company, breaking bad"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Yorktown, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Yorktown, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of freedom, smart colleagues, respectful managers, excellent work-life balance

Cons

IBM has lost it's balance when it comes to managing finances v. people. It seems now that the company is primarily driven to produce ever richer EPS, and seems to care little about employee development, career growth or morale.

Many of the best people are leaving or looking.

Advice to Management

Rebalance priorities. Focus more on making customers happy, technical achievements, and developing your employees. Focus less on plans based on specific EPS growth.,

2. "Good Brand, Good Experience"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of flexiblity, good training, career advancement opportunities

Cons

highly bureaucratic internal processes sometimes difficult to navigate.