IBM - IBM Hardware Sales | Glassdoor

"IBM Hardware Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large company to work for, lots of room for growth, benefits are great, and really intelligent people to work with. Great networking opportunity before moving on to the next big company to work for.

Cons

Sometimes there can be red tape that slows down any big company. If you are in sales, it's a demanding and tough job but the perks are great. However, stay in the sales position long enough and you could face unobtainable quotas. This is especially true if you get a bad batch of accounts to manage. Some folks are luckier than others in the cards they get dealt with. Also, if you get a hard headed boss that tries to put you on an improvement plan to get rid of you, better start finding another opportunity in another division or get out of the company! Thankfully I was saved because I had enough connections at the company to be assigned to a different group!

Advice to Management

Don't ding a sales executive just because the economy is down (I got laid off in 2009) and expect people to continue buying at unrealistic levels. By the time I left, my quota was up to 15 Million PER QUARTER and no one was going to buy that much hardware in a recession! Most of my other colleagues either got laid off with me at the same time or they lasted another three years and then got the axe.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "2-cents on IBM"

I have been working at IBM (More than 10 years)

Pros

Diverse and world-wide services and technology set that is unmatched by competition.

Cons

Overly driven by the bottom line at the expense of the real business purpose and promise of technology.

Advice to Management

Prioritize client satisfaction over stock price. One feeds the other, not vice-versa.

2. "Good company to work for if you are OK not knowing anyone else in person"

Current Employee - Software Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid company, good benefits, decent opportunity to grow and change positions, fairly solid in job security. Work from home culture is nice for flexibility.

Cons

You may lose your mind if you need to be around people and co-workers. You have to trouble shoot on your own because alot of the support is outsourced. Everything is very disjointed, there are 12 different places that are concidered the 'main source to find information'. Unless you change roles in you are looking at little to no pay increase.