IBM - Not much work, lots of bench time | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Not much work, lots of bench time"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good brand name for the CV

Cons

Slow work, no interest from management in developing

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "This is the Best Company I have ever worked for"

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company offers wonderful compensation and benefits. Everyone in my department was very nice and easy to get along with. I worked at IBM for almost 4 years before leaving

Cons

The people in HR were not the nicest of people. They never smiled not did they bother to say hello when you walked into their office.

2. "Great place to work if you can find a way to avoid the salary compression."

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best thing about my time at IBM, were the managers. 3 out of the 4 (two male and two female) I had during the 13 years were great, the 4th was a nice person but in way over her head. She didn't have a clue what our team did or how she could actually help us do it better. Thankfully, she stayed out of our way and let us do our job.

Cons

Once you start working for IBM you better be prepared to experience a major case of Salary compression. In the mean time they are hiring in people that do the same job as you at a much higher rate. I have had several friends leave for a year or two to take a 20% to 30% pay increase with another company and then come back and get another 20% to 30% increase. They pay well to entice you to join them and never again will you get a decent raise. In 13 years my average raise is 1.74%, some years it has been 0% others 3%. Many of those years I was ranked as the best on my team. Now they are in a mode of Crowdsourcing/Outsourcing everything they can. Less and less stability all of the time. Kind of sad. IBM has such a rich heritage of being such a great place to work for pay, benefits and culture.

Advice to Management

Quit doing stupid things just to satisfy the stockholders for this quarter. Take a longer more strategic vision.