IBM - Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic"

Current Employee - Staff Hardware Engineer in Rochester, MN
Current Employee - Staff Hardware Engineer in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have nothing good to say at this point

Cons

20% underpaid versus the market, pay freezes, bonuses are almost unheard of, all decisions are made based on the 2015 roadmap which means they are focused on reducing costs at all costs with no thought to the long-term ramifications

Advice to Management

Wake up, morale in both hardware and software is absolutely non existant. You've taken pretty much everything possible away (secretaries, supply cabinets, Thanks awards, snow removal from the parking lots, pensions, bonuses). Everyone I talk to on a regular basis is actively looking for other employment.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "Good benefits and flexibility, not so good upper management"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible with personal life.
    Good benefits.
    Room to grow: you can move across groups, departments, etc. relatively easily.
    Culture that promotes integrity.

Cons

Budget freezing is crippling teams. The 'do more with less' mentality needs to stop.
    Decisions from execs and finance are negatively affecting teams.
    Benefits could be better compared to other high tech companies.

Advice to Management

Keep teams together, don't tear them apart, especially when they succeed in putting out a good product. Bring in more people to bolster teams or you're going to lose good talent that you already have.

2. "In an imperfect world, IBM has enough diversity to find a good fit for almost anybody."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Huge sets of technology to play with daily.
    Experts in almost any field you can imagine are available to work with and be inspired by.
    At the ground level there's amazing flexibility allowed in how you get the job done.
    While IBM has a reputation for training leaders, it's more that IBM is a great testing ground for potential leaders. There are opportunities and there is competition to sharpen skills all around, you just can't wait for it to be called a "leadership" training (although some of those are good too).

Cons

You have to be patient sometimes to get the opportunity to work on what's inspiring and do less fun job assignments until it happens.
    The review process is somewhat silly and does not encourage employees to give their best, rather it makes you learn politics (valuable in itself) so that you can work the system.
    Too many people think they are too small to make a difference at IBM when the reality is that for IBM to work everybody has to know and recognize that they can change the system.

Advice to Management

Become the social business we say we are. We're "more" social than we have been. We empower more change than we have in the past, but there's orders of magnitude of change left before we are more truly a social business.