IBM - Senior Consultant | Glassdoor

"Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great career opportunities
Learn within the function
Change to work with senior level clients

Cons

Long Hours
Minimal direction from management

Advice to Management

NA

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "Great compensation, but lots of red tape and "not in my job description" people"

Former Employee - Web Analytics in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Web Analytics in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best compensation I've ever received. Asked for and received a raise nearly every year.

Cons

Red tape.
    Lifers who seem to enjoy putting process and paperwork in between you and completion of your projects.

2. "IBM Hardware Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large company to work for, lots of room for growth, benefits are great, and really intelligent people to work with. Great networking opportunity before moving on to the next big company to work for.

Cons

Sometimes there can be red tape that slows down any big company. If you are in sales, it's a demanding and tough job but the perks are great. However, stay in the sales position long enough and you could face unobtainable quotas. This is especially true if you get a bad batch of accounts to manage. Some folks are luckier than others in the cards they get dealt with. Also, if you get a hard headed boss that tries to put you on an improvement plan to get rid of you, better start finding another opportunity in another division or get out of the company! Thankfully I was saved because I had enough connections at the company to be assigned to a different group!

Advice to Management

Don't ding a sales executive just because the economy is down (I got laid off in 2009) and expect people to continue buying at unrealistic levels. By the time I left, my quota was up to 15 Million PER QUARTER and no one was going to buy that much hardware in a recession! Most of my other colleagues either got laid off with me at the same time or they lasted another three years and then got the axe.