IBM - Enjoyed Working For IBM | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Enjoyed Working For IBM"

Former Contractor - IT Consultant in McAllen, TX
Former Contractor - IT Consultant in McAllen, TX

I worked at IBM as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The management is very understanding and great to work for. I enjoyed getting to put together over 1000 personal computers, configuring them for Mexico, Central and South America and shipping them packed in their boxes on pallets. The pay was excellent and, if you needed time off for any reason, the management was very understanding and had no problem with letting you take care of personal business.

Cons

My only con is that this was a contract position and I wanted to be able to continue working for IBM.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

"IBM is not the employer it used to be"

Current Employee - I/T Specialist, Architect, Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - I/T Specialist, Architect, Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ten years ago, I could have stated some; however, times have changed.

Cons

Work life balance has become work life integration.
    Training is non-existent
    Offshoring is rampant
    Benefits are cut year after year
    Raises and bonuses, if given at all, are insulting. Top rated individuals have gotten 1%-2% in the past few years, despite record profits
    Company has become an SAP shop

Advice to Management

Invest in training and budget it yearly. Employees cannot be expected to have 100%+ utilization and train on their "off" hours.

If Monday is a holiday, don't demand employees work the following Saturday. You should be able to forecast better than that.

Utilization should be calculated after vacation, holidays, and training. Employees should not be penalized for time off.

The offshore model has failed. On site resources can do the job better and faster.

2. "Amazing company to work for"

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM has excellent processes, solid management and excellent work-life balance for employees. IBM has good focus on employees development and offers great training opportunities for employees, if they choose to take them up. As always, career development is up to you, so more work you put in, better results you will get at IBM.

Cons

Processes can mean slower response time sometimes, especially working across international boundaries. It's hard to avoid this for a large corporation, especially since each geography has its own operating company (due to legal and regulatory requirements).

Advice to Management

Keep the focus as you have on profit growth - continue to acquire high-margin / high- potential start-ups and IBM will continue to dominate the marketplace.