IBM - Disappointed at working well under my capacity and capability | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Disappointed at working well under my capacity and capability"

Former Employee - IT Executive in London, England (UK)
Former Employee - IT Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Can be well paid. There can be opportunities to move and expand experience.
It is very collegial, and they do take good care of people especially in an emergency or crisis.
The company does do a very good job of communicating with people the state of the business, current issues and plans.

Cons

The culture is all embracing ad overwhelming. It is fundamentally run by Finance, with sales people being revered. Working internally as I did is neither appreciated or valued. I worked for a global team for years yet it never met in person due to a complete ban on travel expense for internal people. In 8 years I never did any training, never met any clients, never was able to go to any trade shows (even IBM run ones). There are no doubt some excellent managers and leaders though unfortunately I never worked for any. A lot of the people there joined as graduates and have only ever worked for IBM - these people occupy most if not all of the senior roles.

Advice to Management

There is not much point giving advice to management - the firm has been around 100 years and is very set in its ways, especially on how it manages and motivates people.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

"If you love to sacrifice your life and give everything to a company for noreward, salary or bonus then IBM is for you!!"

Former Employee - Information Security Manager in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

flexibility is good, opportunities for developing skills and experience is also good

Cons

salary, bonuses - don't expect more than 0.5% increase in salary over a 10 year period even if you are a consistent high performer!...You can give 200% of your life into IBM and they will reward you with nothing.

Advice to Management

Give recognition to those who deserve it or suffer from the consequences of loosing top talent to other companies.

2. "Great career step as Service Delivery Manager"

Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)
    Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Flexibility in Working Place and time for most of the jobs
    International Network with good opportunities and mentors
    Plenty of free E-Learnings and classes

Cons

Especially for Support Roles high availability, also during weekends and holidays, sometimes 24/7, is expected
    High fluctuation within the teams and management