IBM - Columbia, MO - It's not worth it. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Columbia, MO - It's not worth it."

Current Contractor - Confidential in Columbia, MO
Current Contractor - Confidential in Columbia, MO

I have been working at IBM as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

It's all in the name.

Cons

The environment was controlling and uncomfortable. White noise was piped into the facility, and you couldn't hear anyone a few cubicles away.

Advice to Management

Recognize your employees as actual people and not numbers. Don't conform the environment to upper management's personality. Let your employees be themselves, and comfortable in their own skin. The culture of the facility should be organic and not forced.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

"Wonderful Experience"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great management and co-workers, come and go whenever for short breaks, no punch out time cards, hard work and long hours do pay off with recognition, free coffee all day, nice office with great views of Mississippi River, privacy rooms available for small meetings, nice conference rooms for team meetings, great desk set-up, intense but well-worth classes which offer free vouchers to obtain licenses upon completion.

Cons

Managers do change often but not really a con- this is a way to experience a 'fresh' outlook on team building which I suspect is why management does frequently change. If you are not one for adjustments or changes, this type of work force is not for you.

2. "IBM Hardware Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large company to work for, lots of room for growth, benefits are great, and really intelligent people to work with. Great networking opportunity before moving on to the next big company to work for.

Cons

Sometimes there can be red tape that slows down any big company. If you are in sales, it's a demanding and tough job but the perks are great. However, stay in the sales position long enough and you could face unobtainable quotas. This is especially true if you get a bad batch of accounts to manage. Some folks are luckier than others in the cards they get dealt with. Also, if you get a hard headed boss that tries to put you on an improvement plan to get rid of you, better start finding another opportunity in another division or get out of the company! Thankfully I was saved because I had enough connections at the company to be assigned to a different group!

Advice to Management

Don't ding a sales executive just because the economy is down (I got laid off in 2009) and expect people to continue buying at unrealistic levels. By the time I left, my quota was up to 15 Million PER QUARTER and no one was going to buy that much hardware in a recession! Most of my other colleagues either got laid off with me at the same time or they lasted another three years and then got the axe.